Admitted Transfer New Student Steps

As a transfer student you are not new to the college setting, but you are new to MSUM! Therefore, you will need to complete and/or be aware of the items listed below.

You were generated a StarID username when you filled out your admissions application online. Your StarID enables you to access eServices, which is where you'll register for courses, pay tuition, check grades, view transcripts and perform other vital tasks. It also provides access to many on-campus technology resources, such as WiFi.

  • Action Required: Manage Your StarID username and password

Dragon Email is the official method of communication for all university-related business. You'll receive financial aid award notifications, tuition and fee due dates, class cancellations and other important information through this account, so you'll want to check it frequently.

Logging into your MSUM email

Your Degree Audit shows how your credits have transferred to MSU Moorhead and what requirements remain for you to graduate. This is the document your advisor reviews with you to help determine classes to register for each semester.

Students may submit their FAFSA, make a $300 prepayment, sign up for a payment plan, or submit a third party authorization. This needs to be completed 15 business days prior to the start of the semester in order to stay enrolled in your courses

Immunization Records
Visit Registrar's Office for more information on immunization requirements.

  • Action Required: Login to the Online Immunization Form using your Star ID and password and self report your vaccination dates.

Release of Student Information
Minnesota State University Moorhead is committed to the protection and confidentiality of student education records, adhering closely to the guidelines established by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act - a federal legislation established to regulate access and maintenance of student educational records. Visit the Registrar's Office for more information.

Emergency Contact Information

As a part of MSUM's commitment to eliminate sexual violence in all forms, that commitment, all new students must complete the Sexual Violence Prevention Education training developed by Minnesota State system office. Any questions or concerns should be directed to the MSUM Title IX Coordinator.

  • Action Required: Complete the Sexual Violence Prevention Education training in D2L Brightspace. Please note, you will not be able to access this training in D2L Brightspace until 2 weeks prior to the start of your first semester.

Your Dragon Card provides access to many on campus places, resources and events, such as the library, after-hours access to campus buildings, printing services, free or discounted admission to athletic events and activities and much more.

Action Required:

  • First-Year Students - You will take your photo and receive your Dragon ID card at Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR)
    • If you do not attend an in-person SOAR, you can take your card photo and acquire your Dragon Card from the IT Help Desk located in the Livingston Lord Library, office #122, anytime during their open business hours.
  • Transfer (On-Campus) Students - You can take your card photo and acquire your Dragon Card from the IT Help Desk located in the Livingston Lord Library, office #122, office #122, anytime during their open business hours.
  • Online Students - You can request a Dragon Card from this page

After you register for your classes, you can purchase textbooks and course materials in person at the MSU Moorhead University bookstore, located in MacLean Hall, or online through the MSU Moorhead Bookstore website.

If you are a resident of North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin, you may need to submit an application to ensure you’re charged the reciprocity rate. Each state has a slightly different process, so please review what is needed and take action. If you have questions about the rate, please contact the staff member on the webpage listed below.

  • Action Required: Review reciprocity requirements and submit application, if needed.

If you plan to have a vehicle on-campus you will need a parking permit.

Accessibility Resources provides services and accommodations to students with documented disabilities and helps provide equal access for otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.

The Veterans Resource Center helps students who have served or are currently serving in the armed forces to integrate into university life through counseling, GI Bill certifications, and other assistance.

  • Action required: Contact the Veterans Resource Center if you are eligible to receive Federal military, veterans, or family member education benefits to assist you in receiving these benefits.

A preferred name is a name an individual wishes to be known as if this name is different from their legal first, middle, and last name.

  • Optional Action Required: Learn more about and set a preferred name.