Residency & Reciprocity

There are special agreements reached between various states allowing you to pay tuition rates which are less than the non-resident rates. These arrangements are called reciprocity agreements.

A student in non-resident status will pay non-resident tuition unless reciprocity is approved for you by your home state. It is important to apply for reciprocity early to avoid charges for late payment of tuition bills. You are responsible for the entire non-resident tuition until reciprocity has been approved.

There are currently reciprocity agreements between Minnesota and…

All transfer students (or students who graduated from high school more than 12 months prior to attendance at MSUM) must apply to the state of North Dakota for reciprocity. You may apply online or use the paper application.

Freshmen students entering directly from high school (within 12 months after graduation) for fall or spring terms, need NOT apply for reciprocity.

ND Reciprocity Website & Forms

All South Dakota students receive automatic reciprocity if you indicated you are a South Dakota resident on your admission application. Verification of graduation from a South Dakota high school and/or permanent residency status may be requested if you did not graduate from a South Dakota high school within the last year.

All Wisconsin students must apply to the state of Wisconsin for reciprocity. You may apply online or use the paper application.

WI Reciprocity Website & Forms

Midwest Student Exchange Program

The Midwest Student Exchange Program, or MSEP, is a multi-state tuition reciprocity program. Through the MSEP, public institutions agree to charge students no more than 150 percent of the in-state resident tuition rate for specific programs; private institutions offer a 10 percent reduction on their tuition rates. All enrollment decisions are made at the discretion of the receiving campus and the campus may exercise its right to limit participation or set specific admission requirements for MSEP.

Starting Fall 2022, new students from Illinois will no longer qualify for the MSEP discount.

Midwest Student Exchange Program


It is important that you select the correct academic year when applying for reciprocity and follow the instructions on the respective state websites. Once you have become eligible for reciprocity, you remain so unless you change schools or do not earn at least one credit during reciprocity year. In either of these cases, you must reapply for reciprocity.

For residency and reciprocity questions, please contact:

Susan (Sue) Bertsch,
OAS Senior
Registrar's Office
Send Email | Phone: 218.477.2521218.477.2521
OW 210

*All fields required.

Email Sent

Thank you for submitting your email.