Student Voter Engagement
Preparing students to become engaged citizens by taking an active role in our democracy is core to the mission of higher education. Voting is one of the most foundational and meaningful ways to participate in our democracy. With an election approaching later this fall, MSUM is committed to helping students participate.
What to know before you vote
- Your vote matters! Your vote helps choose leaders that represent your ideas and support your interests.
- Learn about the voting process for your state. Take time to understand the process for absentee or day of voting in your state. Then, make your plan to vote.
- Check to see if you’re registered to vote. Do this before October 18, 2022.
- Check ID requirements. Check the ID requirements if you’re voting in person.
- Preview what’s on your ballot. Inform yourself about important issues being decided in your community/state and determine what candidates best represent your interests.
- Vote early by mail. Take the stress out of day-of voting and register to vote by mail. But, you need to plan ahead, request your ballot before October 18, 2022 and return it by election day.
- Vote absentee if you want to vote at your permanent address. Absentee voting means that you will request a ballot and receive it in the mail. Then you’ll need to return it by mail. Check your state’s requirements for absentee voting.
Resources to help you vote
You know you should vote, and you want to vote, but you don’t know where to start. Below are links to general information about voter registration and voting resources based on your state of residency.
This year’s general election is Tuesday, November 8, 2022. On-campus voting location for Minnesota residents living in the residence halls is Comstock Memorial Union 105 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Are you registered to vote?
In most states you need to register to vote. Check to see if you're registered at Rock the Vote.
If you’re not registered, visit the Online Voter Registration Tool to register. On average, it only takes two minutes to register.
National Voter Registration Day
September 20, 2022 is National Voter Registration Day. Make sure you’re #VoteReady.
Visit Vote 411 for personalized voting information. See what’s on your ballot, check your voter registration, find your polling place and more. If you’re a first-time voter, take a look at this checklist.
- Minnesota requires voter registration, which can be done online or by mail. The pre-registration deadline is October 18. Register to vote in Minnesota.
- You can also register in-person to vote on Election Day – learn what you’ll need to do here.
- If you are living in Minnesota, you are able to vote in Minnesota even if you are paying out-of-state tuition or have a driver’s license in another state.
- Absentee voting period: Sept. 23-Nov. 7, 2022
- In person and absentee voting at Clay County Auditor’s Office: 3510 12th Ave. S., Moorhead, MN
- Minnesota Secretary of State. Visit this site to register to vote, see what’s on your ballot, and know the ID requirements in Minnesota.
- Minnesota college student voter information
- Minnesota College Student Voter Guide College students vote 2022
- North Dakota does not require voter registration.
- If you want to vote at your current address, here’s what you need to know.
- If you want to vote by mail from your permanent address, here’s what you need to know about requesting an absentee ballot.
- South Dakota requires voter registration by mail. The deadline to register is October 24.
- Get the forms to register in South Dakota and learn about requesting an absentee ballot.
- Wisconsin requires voter registration, which can be done online or by mail. The deadline to register is October 19.
- Register to vote in Wisconsin and learn about requesting an absentee ballot.