Student Conduct & Resolution Frequently Asked Questions

A compilation of the most asked questions of Student Conduct & Resolution.

No, Federal law continues to classify the use of cannabis products as illegal, and Minnesota State colleges and universities are required to prohibit its use as a condition of receiving federal assistance. MSUM’s policies and practices related to cannabis will not change. Therefore, it is not permitted on campus and a violation of this policy may result in student discipline.

In all cases, you must first meet with the assigned hearing officer for an Informal Administrative Hearing. Serious offenses may be referred to the Student Conduct Committee for a formal hearing. Hearing officers on campus include the Assistant Dean of Students, the Associate Director of Housing & Residential Life, and Housing & Residential Life Area Directors and Graduate Area Directors.

If you are found responsible, you will be assigned sanctions or outcomes which could include: educational activities, restitution, restrictions, community services, etc. See the Student Conduct Code for a complete listing.

No, however, you have a responsibility to be truthful. Should it be discovered that you have not been honest in a student conduct hearing, you may be charged with providing false information which is an additional violation.

Efforts are made to schedule appointments during non-class times. However, it is your responsibility to reschedule a hearing by contacting the hearing officer identified in the letter of notification. A decision will be made in the case without the benefit of your involvement and perspective if you fail to respond to the notice in a timely manner. In addition, a hold may be placed on your record that would prevent registration for classes.

The hearing is private and closed to the public. However, a support person may accompany you. This may be a parent, clergy, attorney, etc. who does not represent or speak on your behalf in the hearing but is there to provide support for you. You will need to sign a release of information that disciplinary file information will be disclosed to the identified support person (during the hearing). The support person is not allowed to participate in the hearing process and will be asked to leave if this person interferes with the hearing.

You are allowed to bring a witness to your hearing. Your witness will be called into the hearing during an appropriate part of the hearing. It is important for you to notify the hearing officer of your intention to bring a witness to accommodate any scheduling needs.

Lack of knowledge of a rule is not an excuse for misconduct. Every student is responsible for knowing the rules and regulations of the University. It is important to read your Student Handbook, including the Student Conduct Code section

The University has jurisdiction for behavior off-campus. Our main concerns are serious behavior and/or behaviors that may have an effect on the University community. An off-campus violation may be a violation of the Student Conduct Code and/or of the University Alcohol and Other Drug Policy which will be handled by the Office of Student Conduct & Resolution.

It is not double jeopardy, which only applies to the criminal court system. As a student, you are held responsible by the University for your behavior under the Student Conduct Code. Proceedings under this Student Code may be carried out prior to, simultaneously with, or following civil or criminal proceedings off campus.

Failure to complete an assigned sanction is a violation of the Conduct Code. Additional sanctions may be added. In addition, a hold will be placed on your registration and records. Remember that sanctions are placed as a result of your violation of the Student Conduct Code and are designed to educate you about the expectations and norms of the University community.

You have the right to appeal a decision to the Vice President of Student Affairs for decisions made by the Office of Student Conduct & Resolution and to the Director of Housing and Residential Life for decisions made by the Housing and Residential Life staff following the guidelines under the appeal section. See the Student Conduct Code for more information.

In you have a release form on file, yes. The 2008 Minnesota Legislature amended the Education Data section of Minnesota Statute to address the issue of postsecondary institutions notifying parents of their students’ drug or alcohol offenses. This allows, but does not require, MSUM to disclose disciplinary violations based on drug or alcohol use or possession if you are under the age of 21 at the time of the violation. However, disclosure is only based upon you signing a release and identifying the specific person(s) the information may be released to.

You can sign the release, even if there is no current record or disciplinary violations regarding drug or alcohol use or possession. The release is good for one year only from date of signature. A new release must be signed each year.

Please note an Authorization of Release Student Information to Parents/Guardians form is included in students’ folders at New Student Orientation. There is also an informational brochure sent out at the end of July to new incoming students, which includes a release in it. If the form has “expired,” you can print a new one from the Form page or sign one in the Office of Student Conduct and Resolution.

Disciplinary records regarding student’s conduct are educational data and are kept separate from other academic records. This information is protected under the Family Rights and Education Act and Minnesota Data Practice laws. However, decisions of University Disciplinary Suspensions or Expulsions are printed on a student’s transcript.