SMART Start Program 2022
August 14-21, 2022
Minnesota State University Moorhead is committed to creating a culture of student success and completion. SMART Start is part of this commitment. Short for “Student Mentoring Academic Resource Team,” SMART Start is for admitted MSUM students who identify as any of the following:
- African American/Black
- American Indian/Alaska Native – Indigenous
- Asian/Pacific Islander
- Pell Grant eligible
The primary goal of SMART Start is to help students transition successfully from high school to college. SMART Start provides programming that removes social and psychological barriers that can inhibit students from succeeding at college in the classroom and outside the classroom. After completing SMART Start, students will have made meaningful connections with their peers, student mentors, and professors. And, through these connections, students will develop a better understanding that success in their first semester of the math course will be dependent on hard work and collaboration.
These are the major components of the SMART Start Program:
- Early Move-in Students who participate in the program can move in on August 14th, with the cost of early move-in covered by MSUM and activities beginning on August 15th.
- Connection and Belonging Through a variety of academic and social programming, students will have opportunities to build community and make connections. The cohorts are peer-led, and many of our SMART Start Mentors were previous participants in the program!
- Pre-semester, 3-credit course This critical-thinking math support course begins the week of the program and continues into the first semester. The course and fulfills 2 graduation requirements: completion of a First Year Experience (FYE) and Liberal Arts and Sciences Curriculum (LASC) Goal Area 2.
- Enrollment in a math course The First Year Experience course you will be enrolled in as part of the program will also serve as a support course to your first semester course. Your math course placement is determined by your ACT/SAT or your Math Accuplacer score. Your First Year Experience course will include students from all levels of math and you will work in small groups with those that are at the same math level as you.
For more information contact:
Thank you for submitting your email.
What are students saying about SMART Start?
- “I met my best friend through SMART Start and it helped me transition a lot easier to college life.” – Araceli Spotted Thunder, Cultural Anthropology
- “It changed my life.” – Emily King, Social Work
- “I graduated high school with a class of 30. Being able to transition to college with a similar sized group before the traditional welcome week was such a crucial move for me, and has helped me in more ways that I can explain.” – Brianna Bradley, Music Industry
- “It was a fun experience. I made great friendships that last.” – Hannah Andrusko-Starks, Cultural Anthropology & International Studies