Use this to-do list to ensure that you complete all the tasks required for graduation at Minnesota State University Moorhead.
- Review your degree audit report (DAR) and verify all requirements are complete
- Instructions on how to run the audit
- Students should apply for graduation one semester before degree requirements are completed.
- Graduation requirements can be found on the Undergraduate Graduation Requirements Policy page
- Honors information can be found on the Academic Honors Policy page
- All course exceptions/substitutions must be approved by the student’s advisor and submitted and processed in the Registrar’s Office.
- Schedule a meeting with your advisor to review your degree audit and make sure you are set to graduate. This step is REQUIRED as the advisor must mark you as eligible to graduate in the system, or you will not be able to fill out the graduation application.
- Once the advisor marks the student as eligible to graduate, the student will receive an email with information and the link to the graduation application. Students will need to login to the application with their STAR ID and password.
- If you have issues or get an error when trying to open the link to the graduation application, it is most likely a browser issue. You should try to copy and paste the link into a web browser (we suggest Firefox). Sometimes clicking the link directly in the email will cause an error.
- Students will complete the application and will need to confirm if they are participating in the commencement ceremony. If they are, the student will pay the commencement participation fee of $30 (this is a non-refundable fee) by credit or debit card in the application. If you choose you are commencing but do not pay the fee, the application WILL NOT be submitted.
- Once your application is submitted, the Registrar’s Office will begin the graduation review process to confirm all university and program requirements are completed. A follow-up email will be sent to the students university email. If there are any discrepancies, review your degree audit and contact your advisor for assistance with resolving.
- If you need to change your graduation term, you cannot do it through the online application. You will need to contact Shawn Soderberg in the Registrar’s Office.
- Information will be mailed one month prior to the date of commencement.
- If you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony, you must have completed the online graduation application along with the $30 commencement participation fee.
- If participating in the ceremony, you will need to purchase your commencement regalia (cap, gown, tassel) through the MSUM Bookstore. If graduating with honors, also purchase an honor cord.
Upon successful completion of all the teacher candidate requirements teacher education graduates should apply for a Teacher Education Licensure.
- Confirm your permanent address in eServices. This is where diplomas will be sent about eight weeks after graduation.
- Check for holds in eServices. Diplomas will not be sent if you have past due balance holds.
- Confirm your name in eServices. The preferred name is what will print on your diploma.
- Your major will not print on your diploma; only name and type of degree (BA, BS, BFA, MHA, MBA, BSW, BSN, SPEC)
- If you do not plan to participate in the commencement ceremony, you may pick up a diploma cover in the Registrar’s Office.
- Additional diplomas can be ordered online for $10 each.
Register with the Career Development Center (optional) AND complete the Graduate Follow-Up Survey.
Official MSUM transcripts must be requested through the National Student Clearinghouse.