Applying for Financial Aid

  • In order to determine your financial aid eligibility, you’ll need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at The MSUM Federal School Code is 002367.

    You can submit the FAFSA starting October 1, 2017 using 2015 tax information. Work Study and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) awards are based on early application and eligibility requirements, so be sure to submit your FAFSA before Thanksgiving.

    The financial aid application process consists of several steps. At each step we may ask you for more information or additional documentation. The entire process can take 6-12 weeks, so please keep this in mind and respond to any requests promptly.

    The financial aid application process differs depending on your status. I am a…
  • If you’ve graduated from high school or completed the GED and have not yet attended a post-secondary institution, you are classified as a freshman in the admission process. You are also classified as a freshman if you have attended a post-secondary institution while still in high school.

    A first year student is someone who has graduated from high school or completed the GED but decided to wait a semester or more before beginning college.

    Freshman Financial Aid Application Process

    Transferring to another college or university can be a confusing process. At Minnesota State University Moorhead, we hope to ease the confusion when transferring between schools.

    If you’ve left Minnesota State University Moorhead for one or more semesters and are returning, welcome back! You are not a returning student if you were admitted but never registered for classes at MSUM.

    Returning Student Financial Aid Application Process

    Students who return to school for a second bachelor’s degree or teacher certification have limited eligibility for financial aid. You must identify your courses and degree program using the Degree Certification form.

    To be classified as a second-degree student, you must be seeking a second undergraduate degree different from your first degree, pursuing teacher certification, or undergoing preparatory work for a graduate program at MSUM.

    Students seeking a second major or minor are not eligible for federal aid, but may apply for SELF and private educational loans.

    Funding is available through Federal or State Work Study, Federal Direct, Federal PLUS, SELF or private loan programs. Priority for work study goes to students seeking their first degree. Requirements in these programs may limit your eligibility.

    Degree Certification Form

    If you continue your education beyond your undergraduate degree, you must assume more financial responsibility than is expected of undergraduate students. Financial aid for MSUM graduate students is usually a form of self-help such as Federal or State Work Study or unsubsidized direct loans.

    You must be admitted to a graduate degree program to be considered for graduate-level funding. Awards are based on full time enrollment in graduate-level courses. Full time for graduate students is 8 credits; half time is 6 credits.

    Graduate Student Financial Aid Application Process

    Discover how to apply for financial aid as a distance learner by selecting the category which best describes your current status.

    If you are unsure whether a school is part of the Minnesota State system, see a map of Minnesota State campus locations.

    Important to remember

    • You can only receive financial aid from one school each semester.
    • Be aware of payment deadlines to avoid cancellation of your registration.
    • If there are no overage funds disbursed, it is your responsibility to pay any remaining charges at your host school.
    • Treat each school individually. You will have two separate bills, two separate eServices and two separate D2L systems.
    I am...
  • Financial Aid Probation & Suspension

    Federal and state regulations require that all students make satisfactory academic progress toward completion of degree or certificate requirements to receive student aid. All prior terms of attempted enrollment, including summer, are considered in determining satisfactory academic progress, regardless of whether aid was awarded for the term.

    Failure to meet satisfactory progress standards results in ineligibility for state and federal aid programs, including: grants, loans, campus work study, vocational rehabilitation, post-secondary childcare, Indian scholarships and university scholarships. Standards are published yearly. MSUM reserves the right to withdraw aid at any time if it becomes readily apparent you have not maintained satisfactory academic progress.

    A letter will notify you that you are no longer eligible to receive financial aid if you fail to meet the minimum standards. It is possible for you to be placed on financial aid suspension for failure to meet more than one type of satisfactory academic progress standard. If you have not received financial aid in the past, you are immediately subject to these standards when you apply for financial aid.

    Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards Appeal for Financial Aid Suspension