Field Experience Student Teaching & Practicum
If you are pursuing a teaching degree you are required to successfully complete 8-16 student teaching credits.
The Student Teaching Application is located in TK20. Please review the directions for completing the student teaching application in TK20 before you start.
Application Due Dates
- Spring semester student teaching: October 1
- Fall semester student teaching: February 15
All students must be admitted to SARTE to be eligible for student teaching.
- Student teachers must have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 (Early Childhood, Elementary & SPED) or 2.5 (Secondary and K/12) at the time of application. We will not be able to wait until the end of the semester to see if a student is going to be able to raise her/his GPA.
- If the GPA falls below the required minimum after the application is received, student teaching will be deferred to a semester in which the GPA is at or above minimum requirements.
- All courses required for the major must be completed or in progress at the time of application. Students must earn a grade of C- or better in all courses required for the major.
- If a student receives a grade below C- during the application semester, the course will need to be repeated and student teaching postponed. The student or advisor will notify the Field Experiences Office, as soon as possible, if this should happen.
- Successful previous field experiences must be documented. If a student has an unsuccessful field experience the semester before student teaching, the Field Experiences Office may postpone student teaching.
- Evidence of positive professional dispositions must be documented. This is part of the Student Teaching Application in TK20.
Once You Complete the Student Teaching Application
- You must complete the Student Teaching Orientation and attend the University Supervisor Meeting. Dates for these two events will be communicated to students through email.
- Enroll in liability insurance and provide documentation.
- Order a name tag.
- Complete a background check.
Please contact Lynn Mahlum with any questions.
If you are covered for professional liability in a school setting from another insurance provider, please provide a copy of the insurance card and section of policy indicating your coverage.
Add Insurance Documentation to Global Documents in DIARY
Once you have enrolled for liability insurance upload the documents into DIARY.
- From the DIARY student dashboard, click on Documents.
- The Document History screen will appear.
- The Global tab should be selected, click on the Liability Insurance Tab, then upload document. The typical document size is 2.0 MB, try to keep it to that.
- You will be able to browse and find the document. Only documents that have the following extensions can be uploaded in DIARY .pdf, .doc, .docx, .tif, .jpeg, .jpg, and .png.
- When the document has been uploaded, you will be returned to the Dashboard.
- Verify that the document has been uploaded, click documents, then the Global tab. The document should be listed. If you need to add another one click upload and browse for the other file and upload. They will continue to list under the appropriate file section for as many as you load.
Name Tags need to be ordered through the MSUM Bookstore website. You can pick it up in the bookstore (shipping will be adjusted to $0) or you can have it shipped to your address (shipping will be adjusted to $3). Make sure you have the correct address when placing your order.
- On the first page, enter 1 quantity, add to cart and then click on checkout. If you haven't created an account, it will ask you to create one.
- The next page will have the shipping info at the bottom. Please select "pick up in store".
- Then the text box below labeled "SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS" type (Mr./Ms./Mrs.) (first name) (last name) then MSUM Teacher Candidate - **if this is too long, then drop your first name.
- When you enter this, it may appear as if it will print all on one line, it will not, the title will be on the 2nd line
- Continue to payment information
How it works:
- Go to the Castle Branch Student Portal:
- Select: Place Order
- Select: Teaching & Learning
- Select: Appropriate package:
- Introduction to Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Inclusive Education
- Special Education
- Secondary/K-12 Education or
- Student Teacher
- Enter all required information — it is important to disclose any charges that could potentially be on your record.
- Previous address information is necessary. If you do not know the exact address, please be sure to include the county of residence.
- Processing will take 48-72 hours, so place your order well before you need to attend Practicum/Student Teaching.
- Information will be shared with your school — YOU DO NOT upload this to DIARY, the field experiences office will upload the information.
- Cost is $55.50 for full Background Check.
- If there is a problem with the link above, contact Castle Branch Service Desk at 888-723-4263.
Placement Options Available to Student Teachers
Placements in the immediate area:
- Moorhead, Fargo
- West Fargo
Placements outside the immediate area but not considered “out of the area:
- Lake Park & Audubon
- Detroit Lakes
- Fergus Falls
- Pelican Rapids
- Others must be within 60 miles of Moorhead
Out of the area placements
Placements considered “out of the area” are more than 60 miles outside of Moorhead. Special permission plus an extra fees are required. See Lynn Mahlum at least one semester before student teaching if you need a placement in an area that is more than 60 miles from Moorhead.
- Aldine, TX
Aldine, Texas is 15 miles north of Houston. Preschool-Grade 12 options are available. This is a very diverse school district, and has been recognized nationally for student achievement and academic performance. See Lynn Mahlum one year prior to student teaching if you are interested in Aldine.
Student Teaching Abroad
We have several sites available for student teaching abroad:
- South Africa
See Lynn Mahlum one year prior to student teaching if you are interested in Student Teaching Abroad.
In rare cases, student teaching requirements can be appealed. There are two main appeal issues. An appeal does not mean that you will automatically be given permission to waive these requirements; it only means that a committee will hear your appeal.
The two issues:
- If you want to student teach outside of the areas in which we typically place student teachers
- If you do not meet the eligibility requirements for student teaching
Please make an appointment to see Lynn Mahlum to discuss your appeal and receive the paper work.