Email Signature Standards & Template
Using consistent email signatures for @mnstate.edu email accounts is an opportunity to create brand alignment while relaying relevant contact information. In addition, consistent and clear email signatures present a professional appearance for conducting business through email.
Standard Email Signature Format
First and Last Name
Job Title Line 1
Office, Division, Department or Center
MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY MOORHEAD
Room/Hall | 1104 7th Avenue South | Moorhead, MN 56563
O 218.555.5555 | C 218.555.5555
Dragons consider the environment before printing.
Adding a Signature to Preferred Email client
To use the standard email signature format, just copy and paste it into your preferred email client signature and personalize it for you.
Recommended Signature Guidelines
The following are recommended guidelines for faculty and staff members using an @mnstate.edu email account:
- Avoid images, logos and vCards: Most email clients process these as attachments or block them by default. So, if you include these in your signature, your email recipients won't know when you send a real attachment and when it's just your email signature. This includes the MSUM logo and logos for social media platforms — they should not be included in a signature.
- Less is more: Email signatures should be under 10 lines. If you feel you need to add more information, use pipes (|) to separate components adding two spaces between content and pipes. Also, refrain from using quotes or epigraphs in business communications to keep the message professional and to avoid having others assume a particular statement represents the institution.
- Phone numbers: Include the phone and/or fax numbers you use regularly in an effort to make it easy for others to reach you. Don't include a cell or fax number if it's not something you often use or want to share broadly.
- Social media: Adding links to social media channels is optional; feel free to promote the main accounts on Facebook and Twitter (see below) or your own office, division, or center's accounts. Remember that using links is preferable to images or logos.
- URL conventions: No need to use the "www" in a URL unless the URL won't work without it. For example, mnstate.edu is used in the sample signature below and the link is embedded.