Veterans Resources

The following community and tuition resources are available for veterans, service members and their families. For services and resources available on campus, contact the Veterans Resource Center.

MSUM offers some scholarships for current and incoming students who have served or are serving in the military. Students can check for university scholarships through the Office of Scholarship & Financial Aid. For additional outside scholarship opportunities, visit the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs website.

By Minnesota Statute, regardless of the school you are attending, the Minnesota STR will pay for 100 percent of your tuition (not including student fees) up to the undergraduate rate at the University of Minnesota with a maximum yearly benefit of $17,000 per fiscal year (1 July – 30 June), or $36,000 per fiscal year for graduate level programs. You are eligible for 144 semester or 208 quarter credits.

This benefit may be used in conjunction with other educational benefits. STR is also available to members of the Minnesota Army National Guard and Minnesota Air National Guard. Visit Minnesota STR for eligibility and application information.

To receive STR you must fill out the State Direct Deposit Form and W9 Form.

To initiate the process, connect with the Service Member’s Unit.

If you have additional questions you may contact the Minnesota National Guard Education Office.

Minnesota National Guard State Tuition Reimbursement

The Minnesota Military Appreciation Fund (MMAF) is a fund established by private residents of Minnesota to thank Minnesota service members for their service. The MMAF will provide $250-500 to all Minnesota military personnel who have served in a combat zone since Sept. 11, 2001. They will increase the amount of the award to Purple Heart recipients and to the families of those killed in action.

Eligibility criteria:

  • Minnesota taxpaying residents on active military duty
  • Minnesota taxpaying residents assigned to Reserve or Guard units located outside of Minnesota
  • Non-Minnesota taxpayers assigned to a Minnesota Reserve or Guard unit member of one of the above mentioned groups who served after Sept. 11, 2001 and was honorably discharged.

Apply for MMAF Grant

The State of Minnesota will provide free tuition at any state college or university to Minnesota war orphans until a bachelor’s degree or equivalent has been obtained. Eligibility is determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Eligibility criteria:

  • The applicant (war orphan) shall be a resident of the State of Minnesota for at least two years immediately prior to application.
  • The deceased veteran (parent) must have been a Minnesota resident at the time of entry on active military duty and for the six months immediately preceding entry on active duty.
  • The veteran must have died while on active duty, or as a result of a service connected condition. This determination is made by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or other instrumentality in the United States.
  • The definition of veteran’s child includes birth or adoption but does not include stepchildren or foster children.

For more information, visit the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs Higher Education webpage.