Women’s Christian Temperance Union of Fargo-Moorhead, Julia D. Nelson Chapter (S4860)
This chapter of the WCTU was organized in 1891, and was named the Scandinavian WCTU. The chapter contained members from both Fargo, North Dakota, and Moorhead, Minnesota. The chapter pursued the WCTU goals of educating the public on the dangers of alcohol and drugs. It took part in the various prohibition campaigns in Cass County, North Dakota, and Clay County, Minnesota. In 1946, the chapter was officially named the Julia D. Nelson Chapter, in honor of one of the founding members of the group. In 1948, a separate chapter of the WCTU was established in Moorhead (for the records of that chapter, see collection S861).
Records of the local chapter include minute books for local and district meetings, financial ledgers, correspondence, and WCTU literature. A survey of alcohol use in Fargo, conducted by the local WCTU in March, 1940, is of special interest. The records are in good condition.
- Brochures about Alcohol, Drugs, Smoking, etc.
- Correspondence. 1977
- North Dakota White Ribbon Bulletin Newsletter. 1966-87
- The Union Signal: A Journal of Social Welfare. 1960-84
- WCTU Local Survey of Alcohol Use, Fargo, ND. March 1940
- Volumes 1 & 2: Fargo District Annual Conventions and Executive Board Meeting Minutes. 1912-17; 1925-34
- Volume 3: Fargo District Annual Convention Minutes. 1928-45
- Volumes 4-8: WCTU (Scandinavian Chapter) Meeting minutes. 1913-24; 1934-77
- Volumes 9-11: WCTU Ledger, Dues. 1922-25; 1928-86
- Volumes 12-19: WCTU, North Dakota, Annual Meeting Reports. 1969-70; 1972-78