Transfer Transcript Evaluation
The transfer evaluation is a conversion of work from other schools into Minnesota State University Moorhead coursework so that it can be used in our degree programs and requirements. Once you are accepted at MSU Moorhead, the transcript evaluation is done by the Registrar's Office.
MSUM must receive OFFICIAL transcripts from each institution the student was enrolled in order for transfer credit to be accepted.
In order for transfer courses to be given equivalents, they have to be examined and approved by the Minnesota State University Moorhead department offering courses in the same subject area.
Transfer work is automatically used in students’ majors or minors ONLY if those courses have been given approved equivalencies by departments. If students believe that particular transfer courses should have been placed within their major or minor areas, they are encouraged to inquire with those departments concerning the use of these courses and their faculty advisors.
Transfer Credit Information
- Transferrable credits are accepted from regionally accredited institutions only. Credit earned at a non-regionally accredited institution may be evaluated if courses contain similar content to courses offered at MSUM.
- Courses considered developmental and/or remedial (typically numbered less than 100/1000) will not transfer.
- Technical college credits will transfer up to a block of 16 credits unless part of an articulated program; additional credits may then be granted.
- Military credits. Courses taken through the military will be evaluated using American Council on Education recommendations. A copy of the student’s SMART, AARTS, or CCAF transcript is required for the evaluation.
- Other types of transfer credits (CLEP, AP and IB) may apply as transfer credit.
The results of the transfer evaluation are shown on the DARS (degree audit). It generally takes 3-4 weeks for a transfer evaluation to be completed.
If you would like to get your Preliminary Credit Evaluation to help determine which credits will transfer to MSUM, fill out this form. A transfer specialist will be in touch within 3-5 business days upon receiving your information.