Transfer Student Admission Requirements
Are you ready to be a Dragon? We’re ready for you to transfer! If you've attended another institution and attempted college-level semester credits you will apply as a transfer student.
The admission requirements for transfer students are:
High school graduation or completion of the GED and the following qualifications are necessary for admission to MSUM:
- Completion of a minimum of 24 academic semester credit hours or 36 academic quarter credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
- If you have completed fewer than 24 academic semester credit hours, you must provide both your college and high school transcripts to determine admission eligibility. You must meet our freshman admission requirements to be eligible for admission.
- A minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in post-secondary credits earned or attempted.
- All grades of F, NC (No Credit), or Incomplete will be treated as Fs in computing your GPA.
If you are transferring to MSUM, please be aware that:
- MSU Moorhead recognizes and upholds academic suspensions from other post-secondary institutions. If you are under suspension from another institution, you will not be considered for admission until two academic terms have passed since the suspension. Summer session does not count as a term.
- You may apply for admission to MSU Moorhead before you complete your studies at another college. You will, however, need to forward a final transcript before enrollment. We reserve the right to revoke admission to students who, after final grades are received, do not meet the minimum 2.0 GPA.
- A higher GPA may be required for entry into some academic departments.
For help with your transfer questions, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
What if I don’t meet the automatic admission requirements?
If you don’t meet the automatic transfer admission requirements, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. Academic aptitude is more than your collegiate GPA or your test scores and high school rank, so your admission will be considered under our individual review process.
The Admissions Committee will individually review your application if you have a collegiate cumulative GPA of 1.9 or higher and more than 24 college level credits completed. If you have less than 24 college level credits completed, but have maintained a 2.0 collegiate GPA, then the committee will review your information if you have an ACT score of 17-20 (SAT score equivalent: 900-1050) and a high school GPA of 2.70-2.99. We will evaluate the strength of your high school academic record and may request additional information, such as an updated transcript, before an admission decision is made. If you aren’t sure if you would qualify for the individual review process, please apply so we can connect with you individually.
Students Denied Admission
Sometimes life simply gets in the way. If you are denied admission, we encourage you to appeal the decision to help us put your life circumstances in perspective. Please fill out the appropriate Admission Appeal form.
Undergraduate Applicants Seeking Consideration by the Appeals Committee
*You will need to login with your MSUM Self Service Center login. Utilize the "Forgot Username/Password?" option if needed, or contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 218.477.2161 with problems.