Freshman Admission Requirements
Are you ready to be a Dragon? We’re ready for you to join us! This is the place to get started on your admission to MSU Moorhead. Our automatic admission requirements are pretty straightforward, but if you have any questions, please contact your Admissions Representative or the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
What are the automatic admission requirements?
- High school graduate OR GED
- Cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) OR
- Rank in the Top 50% of your high school class OR
- Achieve a 21 or higher composite score on the ACT (SAT score equivalent: 1060)
Learn more about College Preparation Standards.
What if I don’t meet the automatic admission requirements?
If you don’t meet the automatic freshman admission requirements, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. Academic aptitude is more than test scores and high school rank, so your admission will be considered under our individual review process.
The Admissions Committee will individually review your application if you have a composite ACT score of 17-20 (SAT score equivalent: 900-1050) and a GPA of 2.70-2.99. We will evaluate the strength of your high school academic record and may request additional information, such as an updated transcript, before an admission decision is made.
You don’t need to take the ACT/SAT to apply to MSUM as long as you meet the other requirements. However, students may take/retake the ACT/SAT to qualify for some of our academic scholarships. Check out our automatic admission requirements and scholarship criteria to see if you should take/retake the ACT or SAT.
Send your scores to MSUM! ACT Code: 2134, SAT Code: 6678
Once we receive all application materials, MSUM will process your application within 10 business days. We’ll notify you via email and mail of your admission decision.
Students not admitted have the option to appeal the decision.
- Complete the Admission Appeal Form
If you’re denied admission, you can appeal the decision by submitting two letters of recommendation and an appeal form. Please contact your Admissions Representative if you have questions.
- Explore our Moorhead Connect program with M State
We encourage students who are not yet admissible to MSU Moorhead to attend Minnesota State Community and Technical College (M State) or another community college to begin your academic program. Our M State partnership offers seamless transfer and the opportunity to live on MSUM’s campus while you’re attending M State, Moorhead.
Students graduating from high school in the previous 3 years are subject to preparation requirements. Students missing a preparation standard may still be admissible, but may be advised to make up the respective deficiencies within the first year of enrollment. New entering freshmen who have met preparation standards for university admission in their respective states will be deemed to have met Minnesota preparation standards.
- 4 years of English (including composition and literature)
- 3 years of mathematics (two years of algebra, of which one is intermediate or advanced algebra, and one year of geometry)
- 3 years of science (at least one year of a biological and a physical science and at least one course including significant laboratory experiences)
- 3 years of social studies (including American history and at least one course that includes significant emphasis on geography)
- 2 years of world language
- 1 year of world culture or the arts