International Student Freshman Admission & Application Requirements
An international freshman student is starting at a university for the first time or is transferring with fewer than 12 university credits. Usually the student enrolls directly out of high school/secondary school with no previous university experience.
You must provide evidence that you have successfully completed your secondary education within your home country (usually 12 years) and be entitled to acceptance into the universities in your home country. As a result of the extreme differences in educational systems among countries, admission requirements vary depending on the country you are from.
Your academic performance will be evaluated for acceptance to MSU Moorhead. If your grade reports are not issued with a U.S. 4.0 grading system, the Director of the Center for Global Engagement will evaluate your grade reports or mark sheets to determine eligibility.
You are required to have English proficiency as evidenced by a TOEFL score (500 on paper test, 173 on computer test or 61 on internet test), IELTS score (5.5 or better), MELAB score (80 or better), completion of ELS course 109 or higher or completion of Kaplan course.
You must prove to be financially self-sufficient and able to provide proof of your funds.
International Student Application Dates
- January 15-June 30 for starting Fall Semester (August)
- August 15-November 15 for starting Spring Semester (January)
International Student Application Process
Applicants outside of the United States are encouraged to contact your local EducationUSA Advising Center for assistance with your application and visa process.
All undergraduate international students must submit the following information to be considered for admission:
- Submit your application for undergraduate international admission.
- We accept the entire application, high school certificates, bank statements, and other supporting documents via e-mail (clear scanned copy). But if you are attending a U.S. university/college, all official transcripts MUST be sent to us directly from the institution. All other documents can be sent via scan/e-mail or fax to save time. However, you must always keep the original or certified documents with you in case we need you to send us the official/certified documents. You will also need the official/certified documents to present at the U.S. visa interview.
- Pay the $20 application fee payable in U.S. dollars
- If you have started the application process, please log in to the Online Application to complete and submit the required information and documentation.
- Provide proof of English proficiency by submitting an official TOEFL or IELTS score report sent directly to us by the issuing agency (ETS for TOEFL or IELTS directly).
- MSUM TOEFL institutional code is 6678
- English Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL Score of 500 (Paper-Based Test), 171 (Computer Based Test) or 61 (Internet Based Test)
- IELTS score of 5.5 or higher
- English Language School (ELS) 109 completion or higher
- WASSCE/WAEC: Students must earn a minimum score of C4 on the English Language section
- SAT: Students must earn a minimum score of 990 on the Math and Critical Reading sections
- Completion of Level 6 at any A.C.E. Language Institute
- Completion of WESLI - Wisconsin ESL Institute. Please check with ISS for the level of completion.
- All official secondary or college transcripts: students must provide Minnesota State University Moorhead academic records of every secondary and post-secondary institution he/she has attended. Records must be certified true copies or notarized photo copies.
- Financial Statement and supporting bank statements or letters from bank verifying funds
- Transfer credits/courses:
- International Credits/Courses: All students who wish to transfer credits/courses from an international institution (University/College) back home will need to submit an official transcript to any one of the evaluation company's. They are E.C.E OR W.E.S
- U.S. Transfer of courses: Please submit an official transcript to International Student Services (ISS) once the grades are posted.
We strongly recommend students receive their acceptance packets via express mail (FedEx or DHL). If you wish to receive your documents via express mail, please go to eShipGlobal - University Express Mail Services. Register and activate an account, prepare a shipment request, pay the mailing cost online and eShipGlobal will route the request to MSUM. You will receive the acceptance packet approximately 3-5 business days from the date of mailing. This must be done within 3 days of acceptance into MSUM.
We recommend that students use the above eShipGlobal - University Express Mail Services site for effect shipping service. If students create their own shipment at a DHL or FedEx office, please be advised that we will need a copy of the shipping label and proof of payment before we will send the shipment out. This makes the process smoother for both the University and the student. Please be aware students who choose this route often encounter complications that delay the time for them to receive their documents.
Please note submission of fraudulent documents will cause severe penalties resulting in an investigation from U.S. Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation. Your SEVIS (Immigration Record) will be terminated immediately.
MSUM TOEFL institutional code is 6678