RN to BSN Admission & Application Requirements
RN to BSN applications are open for Summer & Fall 2022 semester starts.
Rolling Admission Applications
Applications to the program are reviewed monthly.
If you are participating in the Dual Acceptance Program (DAP), check out the information on the DAP page.
- Apply to MSUM
The details for applying to MSUM are identified on the Transfer Student Admissions page.
NOTE: to apply to MSUM, you will NOT need high school transcript (having achieved 24 successful credits by transfer) but you will need:
- fee of $20.00 to apply to MSUM as a transfer student
- official transcript(s) from all post-secondary institutions you’ve previously attended sent directly to the MSUM Admissions Office
- Apply to the RN-BSN Program for Summer 2022 | Apply to the RN-BSN Program for Fall 2022
Once you have been accepted to MSUM, you will receive a link to access the RN to BSN program application. NOTE: Before applying to the RN to BSN program, you will need:
- a list of previous/current schools you have studied in
- a list of current/previous employment sites
- names and email of TWO professional references
- to develop a 500-word (max) essay (directions within the online application)
- Out-of-State Applicants
If you wish to enroll in our RN to BSN program and live in a state other than Minnesota, please inquire before applying to determine if MSUM is legally authorized to provide the program in your state. Contact the School of Nursing & Healthcare Leadership Chair.
- International Students
The Homeland Security Act of 2002 fundamentally changed the requirements for the international students who wish to study in the United States. International students are advised to seek clarifications with the office of International Student Services. International students who are in the US on an F-1 Visa are not eligible to be admitted to a program that is completely online, as is the RN-BSN program. International students may qualify for admission if on certain work visas.
Applicants to the RN to BSN program must be licensed RNs or eligible for licensure by RN to BSN program start. A majority of qualified applicants have an overall GPA greater than 2.75, however applications will be evaluated holistically on a number of criteria (see Admissions Decisions below).
To apply for admission to the RN to BSN program, students must first be admitted to MSUM. Then, a separate online application to the RN to BSN program is submitted.
Admission is competitive and applications are scored and then ranked on the following elements:
- final nursing program semester GPA
- years of RN practice experience (some credit for experience)
- strength of written essay
- two references (One reference should be from current or recent nursing faculty, RNs who have supervised your work, or a professional who has supervised your work. The second can be from a co-worker or other professional reference.)
- significant progress towards meeting general education (LASC) requirements (e.g., an AA or previous baccalaureate degree, etc.)
- past or current status as a MSUM student
- serving the MSUM mission, local/regional applicants will be given additional consideration
Upon admission to the RN to BSN program, new students will receive information about required documentation of immunizations and other screenings, CPR, background checks, etc prior to program start.
- Verifications for Program Compliance
- Mandatory on-site orientation
- RN to BSN Handbook
- Computer Requirements
- MSUM Student Handbook