Film Studies Scholarships
MSUM offers a variety of Film Studies scholarships for current and incoming students. Scholarships are listed below. Students can apply for university scholarships through the online scholarship application October 1-February 1.
The School of Media Arts & Design has a generous scholarship program. A cumulative GPA of 3.0 and outstanding achievement in academics, artistic/creative activities, or department service are required to be eligible for the scholarships to Animation, Film Production, Film Studies, and Graphic and Interactive Design.
- You will declare a major in the School of Media Arts & Design (Animation, Film Production, Film Studies, Graphic Communications and Graphic Design). You will actively participate in departmental co-curricular activities.
- You will actively participate in departmental co-curricular activities.
- You must be enrolled in the School of Media Arts & Design
- You must have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- You should be involved in department activities
The Carol Gaede Scholarship Award was established to honor Dr. Carol Gaede for her long-standing commitment to excellence and learning in the disciplines of Communication Studies, Film Studies, and Theatre Arts. The scholarship is a financial award that honors academic, artistic/creative, and/or service achievement in a student who is a declared major in communication studies, film or theatre arts.
Requirements: Less than 64 credits, 3.0 GPA, creativity and service to community.
No additional requirements needed
- Must be enrolled in the School of Media Arts & Design
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Should be involved in department activities
Attach an essay on the following questions:
1. What do you feel qualifies you for this scholarship?
2. List and describe departmental, university, and community activities; achievements and awards.
3. How would this scholarship help you attain your goals, and what impact would these goals have on the department?
4. Samples of Work: Please submit three samples of your work. Graphical work should be provided in "one pdf file." Video or animation should be provided in a "list of links" to work hosted on YouTube or Vimeo. Please include the title of the work, the class it was created in, and the semester ti was created.
Incoming freshman who will declare a major in the School of Media Arts & Design (Animation, Film Production, Film Studies, Graphic Communications and Graphic Design). You will actively participate in departmental co-curricular activities.
Attach two signed letters of recommendation from your teacher/director or another individual qualified to speak of your strengths in the Media Arts and Design programs.
List your experiences in any of these areas: Animation, Film Production, Film Studies, Graphic & Interactive Design, and other viusal and performing arts (theatre, speech, dance, music and creative writing, photography, drawing ,etc.).
Describe your interest in the School of Media Arts and Design at Minnesota State University Moorhead.
This scholarship for juniors or seniors in good academic standing shall be awarded to a major who is studying theatre or film on the basis of the following:
- General artistic creativity
- Acting ability
- Desire to be a performer
- Number of student theatre, film, and/or television performances, with quality of performance more important than level of the role
- Commitment to becoming a stage or film actor
- Indication of potential to become a director in any of the forementioned media
- Commitment to and support of the MSUM theatre/film programs and to the other students majoring in the programs
No additional requirements needed