Timely Warning Policy
Custodian of Policy: VP Finance & Administration
Relevant Minnesota State System Policy: Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act
Relevant Procedures: MSUM Public Safety Department Timely Warning Standard Operating Procedure
Effective Date: May 2016
Last Review: New Policy
Next Review: 2022
Minnesota State University Moorhead shall issue timely warnings regarding the presence of Clery Act crimes that have occurred within the campus’ Clery geography as required by the federal Clery Act legislation.
Timely warnings required by the Clery Act shall include at minimum:
- Information about the crime that triggered the warning.
- This information shall not interfere with the protection of any victim and/or law enforcement efforts.
- Information that would promote safety and that would aid in the prevention of similar crimes.
- Campus and local emergency contact information.
Notifications not required by the Clery Act of other non-criminal safety concerns shall be made on a case-by-case basis in light of the following:
- The nature of the crime or safety concern.
- The continuing danger to the campus community.
- The possible risk of compromising law enforcement efforts.
- The timeliness of campus officials becoming aware of a crime or safety concern.
Timely warning: A notification to the institution’s community that disseminates information about a recent, ongoing and/or potential crime or safety concern.
Clery Act: Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.
Clery Act crime: Crimes as defined by the Clery Act that, when they occur within MSUM’s Clery geography, must include a timely warning.
Clery Geography: The University’s physical location, the public property within or immediately adjacent to the campus and the non-campus buildings or properties that are owned, operated or controlled by the University.
The intent of a timely warning regarding criminal incidents or other safety concerns is to enable people to make informed decisions and to protect themselves.