Key & Card Access Policy
Custodian of Policy: VP Finance & Administration
Relevant Minnesota State System Policy:
Effective Date: Current
Last Review: Spring 2022
Next Review: Spring 2029
When key or card access is to be granted to faculty, staff, students or vendor/contractors, permission must be given through the electronic form to the Department of Public Safety. Student class lists in Excel or similar format which are signed by the instructor and approved by the department chair will be accepted via email. Standard due dates shall be used for semester or yearly key requests.
Individuals are required to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Safeguard keys, ID cards or other access devices in such a manner as to not be susceptible to loss or theft.
- Do not allow unauthorized possession or use of keys, ID cards or other access devices.
- Maintain building security by not granting access to others, propping doors open or purposefully leaving spaces unlocked.
- Do not duplicate or alter keys, ID cards or other access devices.
- Adhere to established due dates for keys and access devices and seek appropriate extensions, if applicable.
- Return keys that are no longer needed.
- Produce University identification upon request.
- Inform the Department of Public Safety of any access control issue such as unauthorized entry, theft of property, or loss of keys, ID cards or other access devices in a timely manner.
The Department of Public Safety Key and Card Access Office shall have the authority to recall all access issued. University Public Safety personnel may confiscate keys found to be in the possession of individuals not in compliance with this policy. There may be a fee or cost of replacement associated with the loss, theft, damage, alteration or late return of keys.
Upon separation from employment, graduation, end of contract, or other separation, all individuals shall be required to return all keys and access devices to the Department of Public Safety Key and Card Access Office.