Custodian of Policy: Registrar
Effective Date: Current
Last Review: Unknown
Next Review: TBD
Students will not be required to return to campus after completing an internship. Students should, however, be encouraged to return to campus to share their experiences.
Before the starting date of the internship, the internship supervisor, the site evaluator, and the student intern shall sign an Internship Agreement which outlines mutual responsibilities and expectations for the internship and contains statements clearly articulation liability assumption on the part of Minnesota State University Moorhead, the site, and the student intern.
The central location for filing and routing internship opportunities and information to the departments is the Minnesota State University Moorhead Career Development Center.
- A minimum of one (1) semester credit and a maximum of twelve (12) semester credits will be granted for internships.
- A maximum of twelve (12) semester credits may be counted toward a degree.
- An internship will be graded only on a pass-fail basis.
- An internship may be taken only by a student majoring in the department or program.
- Any intern must have at least a junior standing.
- Internship credits will be awarded on the basis of a minimum of forty (40) hours of fieldwork per semester credit received.
- An internship must have a written agreement which outlines the mutual expectations and responsibilities of MSUM, the site, the department, and the student intern.
- The Internship Agreement will be kept on file in the department office for six (6) years.
- Each internship will be evaluated by the department Internship Coordinator or the Internship Supervisor.
All departments offering internships must have a current Internship Document on file in the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and in the office of the College Dean. The document shall include statements of the:
- Objectives of the internship program.
- Responsibilities of the student intern, the faculty supervisor, and the site evaluator.
- Departmental procedures for approving internships.
- Means of reporting results or accomplishments.
- Method(s) of assessment.
- Expectations and procedures of monitoring internship achievements.
- Departmental practice on faculty workload, if any.
- Departmental policy on internship compensation.
- Name of a designated departmental Internship Coordinator.