Academic Forgiveness Policy
Custodian of Policy: Registrar
Effective Date: Current
Last Review: Unknown
Next Review: TBD
Academic forgiveness gives an undergraduate student who has not been enrolled at MSUM for at least five years a one-time opportunity to establish a new GPA. Students must meet the following conditions:
- The student must not have been enrolled at MSUM for a minimum of five consecutive years prior to the “point of academic forgiveness.”
- Upon readmission, the student must demonstrate adequate academic ability by completing 12 undergraduate credits at MSUM with a minimum GPA of 2.0 (grade of “C” or higher in each class).
- Academic forgiveness cannot be granted if a student has earned a post-secondary degree following his/her initial MSUM attendance and applied MSUM credits toward that degree. Students who meet the two conditions cited above should contact the Academic Support Center for the application form.
If academic forgiveness is granted, the Record's Office will make the following adjustments to the student’s transcript:
- The transcript will be separated into two sections indicating the point of academic forgiveness. Academic forgiveness will be indicated on the transcript.
- No credits will be granted for any course completed at MSUM prior to the point of academic forgiveness. However, the course titles and grades from these courses will remain on the transcript.
- Calculation of the student’s grade point average will not include grades received prior to the point of academic forgiveness.