Parking Permit Registration & Fees
To park on the Minnesota State University Moorhead campus, all students, faculty, staff, and others associated with the University need to register their vehicles and obtain a parking permit with Public Safety. Public Safety must be notified if there is a change in the ownership of the registered vehicle listed on the permit registration form. All lots will be monitored beginning the first day of class. All citations must be paid prior to purchasing a new permit.
Permits must be registered online or at the Public Safety Office. If you need help check out the steps to pre-register for your permit.
Registration is now open for 2022-2023 parking permits. Permits can be picked up during business hours at the Public Safety building.
Please contact the Parking Office with questions or concerns.
- Permits are issued on an annual basis (Fall to Fall). Each permit is valid only for the time period indicated on the permit. Use of an expired permit is not authorized.
- To obtain a permit, an individual must register online and pick it up at starting July 1 the Public Safety Office, 1616 9th Ave South. Information can be obtained from the Public Safety Office as to what permits are available.
- All citations must be paid in full prior to obtaining a parking permit. The Parking Office reserves the right to apply outstanding citations to student accounts.
- Permits must be displayed in all lots by the first day of classes each fall semester.
Parking Permit Prices for 2022-2023
Parking permit owners may return their parking permit for a full or partial refund of sale price if done so within the following university guidelines:
- Fall and Spring Semesters:
- 1st through 5th business day of term: 100%
- 6th through 10th business day of term: 75%
- 11th through 15th business day of term: 50%
- 16th through 20th business day of term: 25%
- After the 20th business day of term: 0%
- Summer permits are not refundable.
The refund amount will be reduced by any outstanding citations.
- Select the permit type you wish to purchase and select your payment method (MSUM only).
- Fill in the contact and vehicle information. Some fields are mandatory, including but not limited to: name, address, ID number, primary phone number, license plate number, make and model. Please have this information ready before you begin.
- Please do not use spaces or dashes when entering your license plate number.
- Correct: 123ABC
- Incorrect: 123 ABC; 123-ABC
- If you do not have your license plate number (new vehicles) please enter NOPLATE in the license plate number field.
- Please do not use spaces or dashes when entering your license plate number.
- Review information and modify if necessary.
- Your pre-registration is now complete
Pre-registration does not guarantee you a permit and your registration is not complete until payment is received. Several permits have limited availability and are sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Pre-registrations older than 60 days are subject for removal from the database.
The black All Zone permit allows the registered vehicle owner to park in any legal parking space. When properly displaying the permit, the vehicle is also allowed to park in metered or reserved parking spaces for short periods of time. A home lot must be designated upon registration.
- Living off campus: $361/year, $213.00/semester, $116.00/summer
- Living on campus: $334.38/year, $197.29/semester, $107.45/summer
Day permits must be properly displayed from the rear-view mirror or the vehicle is subject to a citation. Day permits are valid in lots listed on pass only, and do not override any reserved space unless specified.
Employee or student vehicles displaying a valid state-issued disability parking permit (including temporary state-issued disability parking permits) or license plate are also required to display a valid MSUM parking permit while parked in a disability parking stall on campus or on any other property controlled by the University. Visitor vehicles displaying a valid state-issued disability parking permit (including temporary state-issued disability parking permits) or license plate who are parked longer than four (4) hours in a disability parking stall on campus or on any other property controlled by the University also require a valid MSUM parking permit.
Disabled parking is provided in specifically designated close-in areas. Because lot maintenance needs to be shared by all permit holders, the University requires that staff, faculty and students with vehicles displaying a valid state issued disabled parking permit (including temporary state issued disabled parking permits) or license plate are also required to display an MSUM parking permit while parked in any University-owned disabled parking stall.
If the designated parking stalls are full in the area you choose to park, you may park in any metered parking stall for an maximum of four (4) hours. After four hours, you must either relocate your vehicle or pay the posted metered rate.
In compliance with Minnesota Statutes 169.345 and 169.346, use of disability parking spaces is restricted only to those vehicles with a State-issued disability permit. Minnesota state law requires disability parking spaces be enforced on a 24-hour basis, 7 days a week, including holiday periods. Violators’ vehicles will be cited or immobilized. Should disability spaces not be available, disabled visitors with a State issued disability permit may use general and metered spaces. Individuals with temporary disabilities should apply to the State for a disability parking certificate. (The University’s Accessibility Resources Office is available for assistance in applying for exclusive State-issued certificates.) MSUM is committed to providing access to the campus parking areas in accordance with Minnesota law. If additional assistance is needed contact the Public Safety. Quick errands, deliveries, or drop offs are not valid excuses for parking in or obstructing disability spaces. Public Safety does not give temporary Handicap permits.
The red General permit allows vehicles to park in general lots. General lots are enforced from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. General lots start with the letter G and are red on the parking map.
- Living off campus: $192/year, $121/semester
- Living on campus: $177.84/year, $112.08/semester
Overflow parking into General lots is authorized for reserved permit holders on an as-needed basis.
- Areas in certain lots are posted as reserved. Any vehicle not authorized to park in these reserved areas will be subject to citation, immobilization, or towing at the owner’s expense, pursuant to Minnesota Statute 169.041.
- Reserved permits are valid in the assigned lot only. Parking in unauthorized areas on campus may result in a citation or immobilization.
- Living off campus: $290/year, $175/semester, $91/summer
- Living on campus: $268.61/year, $162.09/semester, $84.29/summer
The yellow Retired permit is issued to retired faculty and staff. Use of this permit for any other purpose than to conduct business with Minnesota State University Moorhead representatives can result in revocation of parking privileges on the campus. Vehicles with the yellow permit properly displayed may park in General lots and Metered spaces.
Cost: Provided free to MSUM retirees
The maroon permit is issued to clients of the SLHS clinic and is to be used while conducting clinic business only. Vehicles with the maroon permit properly displayed should park in the spaces designated for SLHS use in the G-10 lot. When those spaces are all occupied, overflow parking is allowed in the remainder of the G-10 lot. Permits are only valid during scheduled SLHS appointment times.
Cost: Provided free to clinic clients
The teal vendor/contractor permit is issued to sales representatives, vending agents, contractors and others in similar positions using unmarked vehicles for business only. Use of this permit for any other purpose than to conduct business with Minnesota State University Moorhead representatives can result in revocation of parking privileges on the campus. Vehicles with the vendor/contractor permit properly displayed may park in General lots and Metered spaces.
If the vendor vehicle is marked on the exterior with a company logo, a vendor permit is not required. Marked vehicles are to follow the same parking guidelines as those with a vendor permit. Leaving a note on the dash does not qualify as a marked vehicle.
Vendor/contractor parking requires a permit from the Public Safety Dept. This is to be used by the vendor/contractor only during service hours. It is not transferrable.
Cost: $94/year, $60/semester, $27/summer