Safe Zone Program Contract
A Safe Zone contact is someone with information, sensitivity, and understanding towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer and/or questioning identities and issues.
A Safe Zone Contact has participated in Safe Zone training, signed the Safe Zone contract, and is committed to providing a safe place in which to discuss LGBTQ+ and coming out issues.
Safe Zone Contract And Confidentiality Statement
The Minnesota State University Moorhead (MSUM) Safe Zone Program seeks to form a group of faculty, staff, and administrators committed and trained to provide safe, non- judgmental and supportive allies for all MSUM community members in regards to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer and/or questioning identities and issues.
As a Safe Zone Contact Person at MSUM, I recognize my responsibilities to:
- Promote an atmosphere of confidentiality and inform the person coming into my office/room of the limitations to that confidentiality.
- Not attempt to sway the person to a different sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or viewpoint.
- Be a contact person and positive listener to all who request my services as a Safe Zone Contact Person.
- Provide reference materials and other resources about sexual and gender identity and support services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning people (LGBTQ+) in the area.
- Provide support to any person who is dealing with the negative effects of homophobia so they will not feel alone.
- Provide support and information to people who are having difficulty understanding or dealing with the sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression of others (e.g., roommate, sibling, friend, etc.).
- Offer support and referrals for anyone who has been harassed because of their sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or gender expression, including but not limited to an appropriate campus office or program.
- Provide assistance for the community member whenever necessary; to help a person bring their case to the Counseling Center and/or Hendrix Health Center and to other advocates, legal or otherwise, in a confidential way, if so requested by a student, staff member, or faculty member.
I recognize that I have rights as a Safe Zone Contact Person. They are:
- I can, at any time, refer the person seeking assistance to the Community Outreach Center and/or Hendrix Health Center if I do not feel comfortable with a particular situation.
- I can, at any time, call upon other Safe Zone Contacts to answer questions or receive support.
- I can, at any time, call upon any other resources I find helpful that are consistent with the mission and purposes of the MSUM Safe Zone Program.
- My relationship with the Safe Zone Program may be re-evaluated at my request or the request of the MSUM Safe Zone Planning Group. I understand that behavior contrary to the spirit of the Safe Zone Program may be handled in one or more of the following ways:
- An individual meeting may be held with a member of the planning group;
- Additional training may be required or requested; and/or
- Membership as a Safe Zone Contact Person may be revoked.