LGBTQ+ Off-Campus Resources
The MSUM Rainbow Dragon Center has identified these community resources for LGBTQ+ students.
- GLSEN – Red River Valley
The Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights
- Minnesota Discrimination Protections
- North Dakota Human Rights Coalition
- North Dakota Discrimination Protections
- Equality North Dakota
- OutFront Minnesota
- LGBT Affirmative Therapists
Alphabetical list of LGBT affirmative therapists (Can also be sorted by city)
- Naomi Tabassum
Naomi subscribes to a holistic and multicultural approach in working with clients to address internal, familial, as well as environmental stressors. Naomi also emphasizes strengths and pays attention to the skills clients already possess to direct further growth and wellness. She is an LGBTQ affirmative therapist. Special clinical interests include depression, anxiety, self-esteem, empowerment, grief and loss, and identity exploration. She is based out of New Story Counseling Services at 1321 23rd St S, Suite N, in Fargo. She can be reached by phone at 701.526.4898 or by email at email@example.com.
- Christine Bietz
Christine Bietz is a counselor with The Village Business Institute's Employee Assistance Program. She provides counseling for stress, anxiety, depression, self-esteem, communication, relationship concerns, parenting, gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender issues and recovery support. Bietz is also trained to provide Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM).
- North Dakota Suicide Prevention Program
- First Link
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline
- Crisis Text Line
Phone: Text START to 741-741
- The Trevor Project
- LGBT National Help Center
- It Gets Better Project
- Side by Side Youth Support Line
- Healthy Mind & Body: A Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Guide
- Trans Lifeline
- Red Raven Espresso Parlor – 916 Main Ave. Fargo, ND 701-478-7337
For more than a decade the Red Raven Espresso Parlor has been the only worker-owned and operated coffee shop in Fargo, ND. Red Raven proudly serves a variety of coffee and espresso drinks alongside a menu of tasty vegan and vegetarian food. They also serve as a venue for local and touring artists of all kinds. Red Raven seeks to empower individuals, in both the community and the work place. Over the years they have nurtured an eclectic space that promotes self-expression, creativity, and equality. Vegan/Vegetarian/Dairy-Free/Gluten-Free Options
- Teaberry – 119 Broadway N. Fargo, ND 701-235-5036
Teaberry is a quiet atmosphere with comfortable seating and board games. Teaberry serves crafted teas and boba drinks with many flavors and combinations to try!
- Silver Lining Creamery – 123 Broadway N. Fargo, ND 701-532-0961
Silver Lining Creamery offers new twists on ice-cream. From Basil Blueberry to spicy chocolate to Huckleberry and cotton candy, this shop’s variety never disappoints.
- Caribou (Inside Hornbacher’s) – 101 11th St. S. Moorhead, MN 218-236-6333
Caribou coffee is home to the Midwest and gives customers a cozy place to grab a quick snack and coffee. Enjoy their happy hour from 4 to 7 every day at their Hornbacher’s locations.
- Starbucks – 906 Holiday Dr. Moorhead, MN 218-233-0392
A perfect place to hang out, get coffee, and feel at home, Starbucks uses the finest ingredients to create their well-known and loved, crafted beverages.
- Atomic Coffee – 222 Broadway N. Fargo, ND 701-478-6160
An eco-chic, local shop with fair trade coffee and desserts with vegan and vegetarian options. Vegan/Vegetarian Options
- Prairie Roots Food Co-Op – 1213 NP Ave. 701-478-0300
We are dedicated to enhancing our community by providing access to natural, organic, and locally produced food. There are delicious options for all, including dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian options. GF/Vegetarian/Vegan/Dairy-Free Options/li>
- Poke Bowl – 560 2nd Ave. N. Fargo, ND 701-478-2442
Poke Bowl is a new poke shop in the Fargo area. They have many healthy and diverse options with flavor. A casual setting for those looking for something different. Vegetarian Options
- Noodles and Co. – 922 Holiday Dr. Moorhead, MN 218-512-2040
Noodles and Company offer a filling meal available in gluten-free and vegetarian options. From pasta bowls, salads, soups, and more, Noodles and company has something for everyone. GF/Vegetarian Options
- Huhot – 1801 45th St. S. Fargo, ND 701-478-4688
An all-you-can eat Mongolian Grill, Huhot gives customers a place to experiment and try different concoctions of meals in their buffet-style assembly line. This restaurant has gluten-free and vegetarian options. The grill cooks will even clean the grill and set your food off if you have allergies to prevent some likelihood of cross-contamination. GF/Vegetarian Options
- Altony’s Italian Café and Wine Bar – 3102 US-10, Dilworth, MN 218-287-5557
Altony’s is a great place if you want to stretch a dollar. Offering a three-course layout with most meals, Altony’s provides customers with kind service and a generous amount of food for a decent price. Vegetarian Options
- China Buffet – 3246 US-10, Moorhead, MN 218-233-6868
For under $15, customers can eat all they can eat Chinese food made fresh daily alongside a salad bar, sushi, desserts and ice-cream. Vegetarian Options
- Duane’s House of Pizza – 2223 US-10, Moorhead, MN 218-236-0550
Duane's House of Pizza has been Fargo & Moorhead's premier pizza restaurant for over 50 years. Duane's specializes in preparing quality pizzas & chicken for dine-in, pick-up or for pizza delivery to your home! Vegetarian Options
- Pizza Ranch – 1504 Center Ave. W. Dilworth, MN 218-287-6001
Pizza Ranch has a variety of specialty pizzas, chicken, and desert pizzas either to go or in their buffet with enough food for anyone.
- Buffalo Wild Wings – 2201 1st Ave. N. Moorhead, MN 218-512-0400
Buffalo Wild Wings is your average sports bar with enough televisions for everyone to watch the sports they want. The chain is best known for Buffalo-style chicken wings along with over a dozen sauces, as well as a complement of other items such as chicken tenders and legs. The chain's menu also features appetizers, burgers, tacos, salads, and desserts. Vegetarian Options
- Burger Time – 1620 1st Ave. N. Moorhead, MN 218-233-9641
Burger Time burgers speak for themselves with high quality and superb taste. Once you’ve tried them you will agree, it’s a burger you can’t find anywhere else! Burger Time takes pride in their special home style flavor and their whole menu reflects that unforgettable taste!
- Applause – 788 2nd Ave. S. Moorhead, MN 218-287-3421
Applause offers dancewear and costumes for any occasion. From make-up, wigs, pre-packaged costumes, leggings, and jewelry, this store offers a variety of creative choices for any occasion.
- Fredericks Floral Designs
Fredericks is a gay-owned, full-service florist located in the historic 8th street commercial district in downtown Fargo. Address: 14 8th St. S. Fargo, ND 58103 (one-half block south of Main Ave.) Phone: (701) 232-7127 or toll-free at 888-219-7522
- The Bowler – 2630 S. University Dr. Fargo, ND 701-235-7588
The Bowler offers a bowling alley with comfortable seating, enjoyable bar food, and fun for all.
- Red River Zoo – 4255 23rd Ave. S. Fargo, ND 701-277-9240
The Red River Zoo features exotic and native animals from areas around the world with similar climates to the Red River Valley. We specialize in the care and breeding of some of the world rarest cold climate species.
- Paradox Comics-N-Cards – 26 Roberts St. N. Fargo, ND 701-239-9505
Paradox carries new comics, trade paperbacks, graphic novels, discount back issue comics, and supplies, specializing in collectable and trading card games, role-playing games, board games, and more.
- Fargo Public Library – 102 3rd St. N. Fargo, ND 701-241-1472
A quiet, relaxing place, the Fargo Public library offers free internet, hundreds of books and media, and areas to take a breather.
- Moorhead Public Library – 118 5th St. S. Moorhead, MN 218-233-7594
A small library in a corner of Moorhead, offers a variety of books, free internet, and a variety of activities.
- Fargo Billiards and Gastropub – 3234 43rd St. S. Fargo, ND 701-282-4168
Fargo Billiards and Gastropub is a great chill space for all ages. With 56 pool tables, it’s one of the largest pool halls on the western hemisphere. On top of unlimited pool, based on an affordable hourly rate, they have a full menu of food and a variety of specialty drinks at their full bar. There are sections for all ages and for 21 plus, so there’s room for all. All-Ages/Vegetarian Options/21+
- West Acres Mall – 3902 13th Ave. S. Fargo, ND 701-282-2222
The West Acres Mall caters to all needs one may have. A food court and many diverse shops and salons, this is a great place to relax.
- Zandbroz Variety Store
Zandbroz offers an interesting and varied line of books, jewelry, home ware, toys, stationary, items for bath and body, gift items, and collectibles. Also located in Zandbroz is Dakota Soda, an old-fashioned soda fountain and espresso bar.
- Junkyard Brewing Co. – 1416 1st Ave. N. Moorhead, MN 701-936-5545
If you like nightly live music and delicious food from a truck, this homey, Fargo-Moorhead born Brewing Co. is a special hole-in-the-wall, perfect for you. 21+
- Awake Lounge – 1410 9th St. E. West Fargo, ND 701-412-4487
This is a place where you get maximum fun, there's never a dull moment at Awake Lounge. The kind of environment they set welcomes everyone. Come enjoy quality music and some good food. 21+
- Dempsey’s – 226 Broadway N. Fargo, ND 701-235-5913
Dempsey's Public House is an authentic Irish pub nestled in the belly of downtown Fargo! Artisan pizzas highlight their menu. A laid-back tavern with basic pub grub, live music & karaoke. 21+
- The Dresscode Project
LGBTQ+ friendly hair salons
- Meg Walz
Address:1111 19th Ave N, Fargo, North Dakota. Phone: 701-232-7452
- Kim Jore
Address: 315 Main Ave, Moorhead, MN 56560. Phone: 701-293-2030The two artists below are "talented hair stylists who are passionate about giving transgender/non-binary individuals haircuts or styles that make them shine as their preferred gender identity and expression.”
- Meg Walz
Legal & Relators
- Alisha Ankers Family Law Practice
Alisha Ankers is licensed in both Minnesota and North Dakota. Her office handles all family law matters, including wills, trusts, name changes, adoptions, child support, child custody, and divorce. Address: 114 Broadway, Skyway 7, Elm Tree Square Fargo, ND 58102 Phone: (701) 476-6578
- Rita Thompson, Advantage Realtors
Rita Thompson is a full-service realtor and is licensed in both North Dakota and Minnesota. She specializes in residential real estate, representing both buyers and sellers. Address:901 28th St. S. Fargo, ND 58103 Phone:(701) 235-1750
- Thomas Jefferson, State Farm Insurance Co.
Thomas Jefferson is a full-service agent for State Farm Insurance. Address:3330 Fiechtner Drive SW Fargo, ND Phone:(701) 234-0507
- Minnkota Center
Minnkota Center is offering social/discussion groups. The open-forum discussion group will provide people the opportunity to meet others, share ideas, discuss alternative views and empower one another through knowledge and understanding. Minnkota Center also offers a Men's group and Women's group. Location: 810 4th Ave. S. Suite 202 Moorhead, MN 56560 Phone:(218) 287-4636 or toll-free at 1-877-871-4636 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PFLAG of Fargo-MoorheadPFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered person, their families, and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to secure civil rights. PFLAG provides and opportunity for dialogue about sexual orientation and gender identity, and acts to create a society that is healthy and respectful of human diversity. Phone: (701) 235-SEEK
- Fargo-Moorhead Pride Collective and Community Center
- Tristate Transgender
- FTM Fargo-Moorhead Brotherhood
A support group specifically for transgender men
- Non-Binary Support Group
Social and support open to any non-binary individuals. Meets every Saturday
The following religious congregations that are listed on this page are listed with their explicit consent, and they have indicated a clear desire to be known as LGBT-friendly and affirming. The descriptions given in quotation marks are provided by the congregations themselves.
- Faith Lutheran Church
"Faith Lutheran Church has a long history of welcoming many from the GLBT community to every level of participation in congregational life, including Christian Education staff, Board participation, and Church Council membership. Weekend worship services always include openly gay couples and singles."
- St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Fargo
Pastor Joe Larson was called to lead St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Fargo in June 2016, becoming North Dakota's first openly gay pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
"Though our world is a place of alienation and brokenness, Christ call us to be agents of reconciliation, wholeness, and healing. Gay and lesbian persons are often scorned by society and alienated from the Church. At St. Mark's all people are called to share in the sacramental and general life of this congregation regardless of their sexual orientation."
- First Congregational United Church of Christ
A welcoming and affirming congregation of the UCC.
- Children of the Living God
"If you belong to the GLBT community, an affirming or reconciling church, or if you are just curious, you are invited to attend our services. Inclusive and non-denominational, we teach what Jesus taught, the Gospel of Life for all people. Celebrating our faith in God, the Lordship of Jesus, and the filling of the Holy Spirit. Our church has a unique mission: to reach out to the GLBT community in Fargo-Moorhead and surrounding rural areas. We are a ministry by and primarily for this community. We offer an environment within which most people are comfortable being themselves. It is also an environment that challenges people to become the person God wants them to be."
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Fargo-Moorhead
"We are a Unitarian Universalist welcoming congregation that seeks to be a spiritual home for people of free faith regardless of race, color, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, age, national origin, socio-economic status, physical or mental ability."
- First Presbyterian Church in Moorhead
In January 2018, Pastor Robert Drake was officially installed as the first openly gay pastor of the church.
- St. Stephen's Episcopalian Church
An affirming congregation.
Speech & Hormone Therapy
- Harbor Health Clinic
Opened January 2018 and is now scheduling patients for gender affirming hormone therapy for adults using an informed consent approach. This means that individuals do not have to first go through a therapist to get their medically necessary treatment, but they have many recommendations for individuals who do want therapy in addition to their care.
- Family Tree Clinic
Minneapolis based, sliding scale, no required referral for hormones
- MSUM Voice Therapy
Sliding Scales, helps to safely and effectively improve voice
- NDSU Family Therapy Center
Sliding Scale, adults and children with gender dysphoria
- Hormone Therapy
- Dr. David Newman: Sanford Fargo based, needs referral from Dan Sturgill
- Dr. William Zacks: Altru Grand Forks based, needs letter of referral from any qualified therapist
- Letter of Reference for Hormones: Dan Sturgill Sanford Gender Psychologist
- Minnkota Health Project
Minnkota Health Project (MHP) provides a coordinated set of services to people living with HIV/AIDS, their partners, and families in western Minnesota and east-central North Dakota. Services include a monthly food distribution, individual counseling, and support groups. Counseling and support groups are available to those living with HIV/AIDS, their partners, and families. Services also include the Transportation Assistance Fund, Emergency Assistance Fund, and the Quality of Life Fund.
LGBT+ Drug & Alcohol Treatment Resources
- The Recovery Village
- Drug Rehab Guide
- Rehab Center
- LGBTQIA+ Friendly Alcohol & Drug Rehab Centers Near You
Other Healthcare Resources
- LGBTQ+ Resources for New Counselors
- LGBT+ Health and Well-Being
- LGBT+ Mental Health
- Top 10 Things Lesbians Should Discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
- Top 10 Things Gay Men Should Discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
- Top 10 Things Bisexuals Should Discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
- Top 10 Things Transgender Persons Should Discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
- Top 10 Things Intersex Persons Should Discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- Human Rights Campaign
- National Organization for Lesbians of Size
- National Gay & Lesbian Taskforce
- Soul Force
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Damron Travel Guide
- Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders
- Human Rights Campaign
- Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- National Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- Scouting for ALL
- Creating a Welcoming Campus and Community
- Lesbian and Gay Immigration Rights Task Force
- ACLU Resources
Brochures and cards that include information such as: know your rights for LGBTQIA+ college students, transgender people and the law, and know your rights: a guide for trans and gender nonconforming students.
- Campus Pride Resource Guide
A 60+ page, full-color, pocket-sized annual resource guide filled to the brim with exciting student organizing and social justice tips and tricks, how-to’s and action guides for LGBT students, campus and community organizers, student organizations and staff and faculty
- Everyone is Gay Advice Column
Advice column dealing with issues such as coming out, relationships, community & activism, wellbeing, gender, religion, and identity & intersectionality.
- Lil’ Purple Backpack Resource Guide
- Dealing with homophobia
- Dealing with homophobic language
- Dealing with discrimination
- Gender-Diverse Cultures Map
- Ten Steps to Tackling Homophobic, Biphobic, and Transphobic Language in your School
- Tackling Homophobic Language Guide
- LGBT Voices: Sharing our Past, Shaping our Future
- Stop Homophobia
- Resource Guide to Coming Out
- Resource Guide to Coming Out for African Americans
- Resource Guide to Coming Out as Bisexual
- Coming Home: To Catholicism and to Self
- Coming Home: To Faith, To Spirit, To Self
- Coming Home: To Islam & To Self
- Coming Home: To Judaism & To Self
- Coming Home: To Mormonism & to Self
- Other Resources for Coming Out
- Other Human Rights Campaign Resources
Additional resources covering topics including adoption, allyship, communities of color, international, and more