International Student Taxes

All non-immigrant international students who were present in the U.S. during any part of the calendar year (from January to December) are responsible for filing a tax report to the U.S. Internal Revenue Services (IRS) by April 15th of each year.

A Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is an identification number used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws. It is issued either by the Social Security Administration (SSA) or by the IRS. A Social Security number (SSN) is issued by the SSA whereas all other TINs are issued by the IRS.

Filing tax report is required whether or not you worked in the U.S., earned income in the U.S. or received a scholarship. The good news is that if you earned income in the U.S., you may be eligible for a tax refund if you overpaid or a complete reimbursement based on tax treaties. Filing taxes can be very time-consuming and difficult at times, International Student Services will assist you to file your taxes.

If you were present in the U.S. even by one day but never made an income in the U.S. you need to complete the form 8843 and mail to IRS on or before April 15th. If you were in the U.S. a year prior and made an income in the U.S. (even by $1) then you need to complete both the forms 8843 and 1040NR EZ and mail both the forms together to the IRS address listed below. Remember to make copies of all your documents before you mail them out. If you have been in the U.S. (consecutive years without a break) for more than 5 years (and this is your 6th year) then you are considered as a "resident" for tax purposes only and is able to file taxes with local tax specialists like HR Block, Turbo tax.

Tax Sessions will be held on campus during the month of March and April.  Watch for dates.

What forms should an international student file?

  • Form 8843
    Must be filed by ALL international students in the U.S. regardless of your income and employment status in the U.S.
    Form 8843 Instructions
  • Form 1040NR-EZ
    Must be filed by all international students who have receive any type of U.S. income other than interest received from U.S. banks and credit unions. The regular tax forms can ONLY be applied IF you have lived/studied in the U.S. for more than 5 years. Tax filing year should be your 6th year.

Mail the forms to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Services Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215 USA

Online Paid Assistance for International Students