Accessibility Resources Frequently Asked Questions

These are some of the most frequently asked questions about Accessibility Resources at Minnesota State University Moorhead.

  1. How do I receive disability services at MSUM?
    The first step is to complete the Request for accommodations form. After the request is received, further communication will occur on next steps in the process.
  2. When do I need to apply for services with Accessibility Resources?
    As soon as you have been admitted to MSUM and have started the process as stated in question #1.
  3. Can I use my 504 Plan or IEP for documentation of my disability?
    Your 504 Plan or IEP is always helpful as supplemental information in determining your eligibility for accommodations. The most important piece of determining your eligibility for accommodations is the interactive process or interview with the student. Once the interview is completed, it will be shared whether further documentation is needed for approving accommodation requests.
  4. Will I receive the same services/accommodations I received in high school?
    Maybe. In K-12 education, programs are required by law to provide whatever service, help, or accommodation that you needed to be successful. Colleges/Universities are required by law to provide “equal access to education” through programs, activities, and facilities. They provide access by using accommodations, not necessarily services or extra help. Accommodations ensure “access” not “success.”
  5. Will my 504 Plan/IEP follow me to college?
    No, the 504 Plan developed by your high school will not follow you to college, but the rights and protections under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 apply. Section 504 is civil rights legislation and provides two things: 1) Nondiscrimination on the basis of disability and 2) an equal opportunity to participate. The concept of “maximizing success” is only found under IDEA for elementary and secondary schools. In higher education, it refers to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as a means to determine eligibility and accommodations for access in the classroom.
  6. Who decides what accommodations I can use in college?
    The Accessibility Resources office at MSUM makes the decision after completing an interactive process with you. Accommodations will be based on how the disability interferes with access to the educational environment and course curriculum. Additionally, accommodations can be modified/changed throughout your time as a student at MSUM by request from the student. For more information on the interactive process view the Apply for Services webpage.
  7. Do I have to pay for my accommodations?
    No. It is the university’s responsibility to provide reasonable accommodations to eligible students with disabilities with no cost to the student.

Any further questions, please contact Chuck Eade, Director of Accessibility Resources.