Kim T. Mollberg CPA CMA CGMA MBT
Kim is a full-time, tenured, Associate Professor of Accounting in the Paseka School of Business at MSUM. Since joining MSUM in the fall of 2008, Kim has taught tax courses (currently teaches Tax I and II) in both undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as introductory accounting courses (financial accounting and managerial accounting) at the undergraduate level. Continuing to practice as a CPA in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota when his duties do not require him to be at the University has given him the rare opportunity that many professors envy-the opportunity to embrace life-time learning, to apply that which is learned, a tremendous bonus for his students as they discuss real-world cases and problems. Kim’s research interests have been in areas of practical application of tax law, and pedagogy.
Courses Taught at MSUM:
- Accounting 230: Principles of Accounting I
- Accounting 231: Principles of Accounting II
- Accounting 340: Introduction to Taxation (no longer offered)
- Accounting 441/541: Tax Accounting I (formerly Individual Income Tax)
- Accounting 443/543: Tax Accounting II (formerly Corporate/Partnership Tax)
- Master of Business Taxation, 1983, University of Minnesota
- Bachelor of Science in Business-Accounting, 1979, University of Minnesota
- Kim T. Mollberg, LTD (Owner of CPA firm in Detroit Lakes MN, since 1991)
- North Dakota State University (Adjunct Instructor of Financial Accounting, 2007-2008)
- Price Waterhouse CPAs (Tax Manager in Minneapolis office of international CPA firm, 1985-1991)
- Main Hurdman CPAs (Senior Tax Accountant in Minneapolis office of international CPA firm now part of KPMG, 1982-1985)
- Adrian S. Helgeson & Co CPAs (Staff Accountant/Auditor with Minneapolis office of regional CPA firm, 1980-1981)
- Positions held while in school included operational accountant (Dayton Hudson), industrial accounting internship (Ford Motor), bookkeeper, bank teller, sales clerk
- Certified Public Accountant (passed all parts exam May 1980; maintain active license; last Peer Review 5/29/13)
- Certified Management Accountant (completed requirements in 2011; maintain active license)
- Certified Global Management Accountant (completed requirements in 2012; maintain active license)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Minnesota Society of CPAs
- American Accounting Association (including American Taxation Association)
- Institute of Management Accountants
Publications & Presentations:
Mollberg, Kim. (November 2013) "Government farm payments subject to SE tax." 216 Journal of Accountancy 5, 56.
Mollberg, Kim. (April 2013) "Making a "backdoor" Roth IRA contribution." 215 Journal of Accountancy 4, 72-73.
Presenter, “FEELING RISK-a Classroom Exercise to Engage Your First-Year Accounting Students,” American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, August 4, 2012, Washington, DC.
Presenter, “The Shoe Box" - From Real-World Source Documents to Financial Statements (a Final Project for an Introductory Principles of Accounting Course),” American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, August 3, 2010, Washington, DC.
- Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Detroit Lakes Kiwanis Club
- Mount Tabor Lodge #106, AF & AM
- Detroit Lakes Shrine Color Guard
- El Zagal Shrine Temple
- Detroit Lakes United Methodist Church
- Reviewer, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
Service to University and Students:
- Treasurer and Senator, MSUM, Faculty Association
- Member, University of Planning and Budget Committee
- Member, Paseka School of Business Assurance of Learning and Curriculum Committees
- Advisor, MSUM Collegiate DECA