Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) Student Outcome Data
Graduate Program in Healthcare Administration Program Data - Fall 2021
Student Retention Rate since Program Launch in 2013: 82%
Graduation Completion Rates
Our students progress at their own rate through the program, so calculating completion rates we take graduated students and those students still on track to graduate. The table below represents graduated and on track to graduate for each year.
|Admission Year||Students Enrolled||Students Graduated||Students Still on track to Graduate||Anticipated Completion Rate|
Students Still on track to Graduate5
Anticipated Completion Rate21/27 = 78%
Students Still on track to Graduate9
Anticipated Completion Rate26/33 = 79%
Students Still on track to Graduate18
Anticipated Completion Rate23/27 = 85%
*Most students take 7-8 semesters to graduate progressing at part time (2 courses per semester).
Information from Fall 2021 Alumni (n 19)
*Data taken from alumni students from 2018-2020 collected in fall of 2021. Current student data represents enrolled students in fall term of 2021.
Where are students working post-graduation (alumni)?
- Hospital or Health System – 47%
- Governmental Agencies (e.g. local, state & federal agencies) – 16%
- Occupational Health – 11%
- Consulting – 11%
- Physician Practice/Clinic – 5%
- Long Term Care – 5%
- Employed outside of healthcare – 5%
Type of positions that our graduates hold post-graduation (alumni):
- Executive Officer – 11% (e.g. CEO, President, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Information Officer, Chief Nursing Office, Chief Financial Officer, Administrator, Partner, Owner, etc.)
- Chief Operating Office/Vice President – 26% (e.g. Assistant Administrator, Division Director, Facility/Regional Administer, etc.)
- Management Staff – 16% (e.g. Manager, Unit Administrator, Practice Manager, Supervisor, etc.).
- Senior Staff – 21% (e.g. Senior analyst, Senior consultant, etc.)
- Staff Specialist, Staff Support – 16% (e.g. Management analyst, Medical Records, Administrator, Consultant, Assistant, Coordinator, Analyst)
- Pharmacist – 5%
- Other – 5% (not specified)
Experience working (alumni):
- Years of experience:
- 32% of students have 1-5 years of experience
- 32% of students have 6-10 years of experience
- 23% of students have 11-20 years of experience
- 5% of students have 21-30 years of experience
- 9% of students have greater than 30 years of experience
Characteristics of students (alumni):
- 74% Female
- 26% male
- 11% - 18-25
- 26% - 26-30
- 26% - 31-35
- 26% - 36-40
- 11% - 41-45
- 11% Asian
- 5% African American
- 79% White
- 5% Prefer not to respond
- 95% Not Hispanic or Latino
- 5% Prefer not to respond
Job Placement of Alumni Surveyed:
- 100% had a job working in healthcare within 3 months of graduating.
- 100% had a job working in healthcare within 1 year of graduating.
- 53% where employed in healthcare, and stayed in their same position post-graduation.
- 37% where employed in healthcare, but in a different position post-graduation.
Other Survey Results (alumni) using a 5 point Likert Scale:
- 26% of our alumni surveyed experienced a job change in a new organization as a result of obtaining their MHA degree
- 17% experienced a job change within the same organization
- 39% experienced a pay raise post-graduation
- 13% maintained their current position.
- 4% had a horizontal job change within the same organization.
- 89% of alumni surveyed strongly agreed/agreed that the graduate curriculum met their expectations. (1 student was neutral)
- 88% stated the program was an extremely good or good investment (1 student was neutral)
- 93% strongly agreed/agreed that they believed the curriculum prepared them as future leader.
- 88% stated they were very likely or likely to recommend the MHA program to others. (1 student was neutral)
- 90% strongly agreed/agreed that they believe the program prepared them to critically think and approach problems allowing you to function as a future leader.
- 199% of the aggregate data rated at 2 or greater (intermediate to advanced) level of competent in program domains and competencies upon graduating from the program.
Qualitative Alumni Comments:
“I started this program as an RN with the strong belief that leaders in healthcare bring the most to the table when they have clinical experience. I was nearing completion of my MHA when the perfect opportunity presented itself for me. Today, I am a healthcare leader in a large organization. I believe that having my MHA not only prepared me to be successful in this role, but set me apart from my peers.”
Information from Fall 2021 Current Student Program Survey n(22):
Where are current students working?
- Hospital or Health System – 50%
- Military Health System or Veterans Health Administration – 13%
- Insurance/HMO – 13%
- Assisted Living – 5%
- Faculty Position – 5%
- Tribal Healthcare – 5%
- Governmental Agencies (e.g. local, state & federal agencies) – 5%
- Employed Outside of Healthcare – 4%
Type of positions that our current students hold:
- Chief Operating Office/Vice President – 9% (e.g. Assistant Administrator, Division Director, Facility/Regional Administer, etc.)
- Management Staff – 32% (e.g. Manager, Unit Administrator, Practice Manager, Supervisor, etc.).
- Staff Specialist, Staff Support – 19% (e.g. Management analyst, Medical Records, Administrator, Consultant, Assistant, Coordinator, Analyst)
- Senior Staff – 8% (e.g. Senior analyst, Senior consultant, etc.)
- Educator/Faculty Member – 9%
- Registered Nurse – 5%
- Other – 18% (Music Therapist, Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist, Physician Assistant, Travel Vascular Interventional Technologist)
Experience working of current students:
- Years of experience
- 5% - less than one year
- 32% - 1-5 years
- 36% - 6-10 years
- 27% - 11-20 years
Characteristics of the current students in the program:
- 82% Female
- 18% male
- 18% - 18-25
- 9% - 26-30
- 27% - 31-35
- 27% - 36-40
- 14% - 41-45
- 5% - do not wish to respond
- 5% - American Indian or Alaska Native
- 18% - Black or African American
- 68% - White
- 9% - do not with to respond
- 95% - Not Hispanic or Latino
- 5% - do not wish to respond
Other Survey Results (current) using a 5 point Likert Scale:
- 95% rated very satisfied or satisfied with the overall MHA program
- 100% rated very satisfied or satisfied with the commitment to academic excellence at MSUM in the MHA program
- 100% rated very satisfied or satisfied with overall support, service and concern provided by MSUM faculty
- 91% rated very satisfied or satisfied with overall support, service and concern provided by the Graduate Program Coordinator
- 100% rated very satisfied or satisfied with timeliness of my concerns
- 91% rated very satisfied or satisfied with flexibility of course scheduling
- 95% rated very satisfied or satisfied with advising and program support
Student Qualitative Comments:
- The MHA program at MSUM has provided me with great learning opportunities that have made me a better leader in healthcare. I feel confident I will be able to use the skills and tools I've learned to excel in my career. - Jen Sundboom
- This program takes leadership roles to the level. – Rosie Eiden.
- The MHA program has provided me with an opportunity to work and advance in my career while also being fully engaged in a graduate program. The flexibility and support from the program instructors is incredibly and offers even more support while working through classes and having a career. - Seth Adkins
- This is a wonderful program and I am happy to be a part of it.
- The MHA program has given me the skills to grow personally and professionally. I have noticed a significant amount of change with how I approach work since starting this program. I cannot wait to see where these skills continue to take me in my life. These professors are truly interested in the success of their students and in the improvement of the field of healthcare.
- All the courses I've taken so far have been carefully and thoughtfully well-designed and implemented. Although a lot of work, they are objective focused and each assignment has a purpose.
- I have really enjoyed my time in this program so far. All of the faculty seem knowledgeable about the topics they teach on. I like how easy it is to navigate the online platform.
- All the faculty and graduate staff have been very supportive. Their vast experience compliments the MHA program offering insight and perspective to students
- I LOVE this program!! I have learned a lot and I am so thankful to be part of this program.
- I am very impresses with how accessible user friendly the programs are to use in the online format. The pacing of the program is not overwhelming for someone working a fulltime position, and the faculty is very accessible. I needed assistance from a professor and he responded right back on a Sunday!
- I really enjoy that the professors have personal experiences working in the field. I really appreciate the support from the faculty and feel that each of them is a genuine supporter of the students.
- I enjoy how concepts flow into the "real world" work I currently do, and that the program is teaching me about all the skills and knowledge I need to have to increase my knowledge as a professional in the healthcare field.
- The MHA courses are very well organized and apply to my overall career goals as a healthcare leader.
- Such a wonderful program. The professors taught for success!
- Courses are always well connected to learning outcomes and it's really interesting to be in classes with students with diverse backgrounds: nursing, business, etc.
Program Domains and Competencies Assessment of Alumni (2017-2020):
Overall Domain ratings:
Listing of program competency assessment that were rated below a mean of 2 (program goal):
*All ratings in 2018 and 2019 were above 2.0 aggregate mean for all domains and competencies; **All ratings in 2018 and 2019 were above 2.0 mean for all domains and competencies (Fall 2020); All ratings for 2018-2020 were above 2.0 mean for all domains and competencies (Fall 2021).
2018 - 2020
|Domain 3 – CO 5||Collaborate with community stakeholders to enhance healthcare decision making||All ratings in 19 were above 2.0 mean||All ratings in 19 were above 2.0 mean||All ratings in 18 were above 2.0 mean||1.78/3|
End of Course Aggregate Survey Results – From All MHA Courses Taught in that Term