Counseling Community Outreach Center
Minnesota State University Moorhead’s Community Outreach Center provides free, professional and confidential counseling services for children, adolescents, adults and families in the Fargo-Moorhead community. While many view counseling as helping with immediate and emergency situations, counseling is more often a partnership in helping you attain your own personal or professional goals.
Counselors listen carefully to your concerns and help you develop strategies to reach your goals. Counseling services are provided by Licensed Professional Counselors and master’s-level counselors-in-training who are supervised by professional counselors.
- Career Counseling
A variety of techniques and strategies are used to help clients work toward resolving their problems and achieving personal growth. The American Counseling Association defines counseling as: “The application of mental health, psychological and human development principles, through cognitive, affective, behavioral and systemic intervention strategies, that address wellness, personal growth and career development, as well as pathology.” Our counselors are respectful, sensitive, collaborative, and solution focused. They are trained to improve coping skills, insight and functioning. Clients will be referred to other mental health or medical service providers as needed.
Counseling Services Guidelines
- MSUM does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or sexual orientation.
- All counseling sessions are confidential. However, counselors are mandated by law to report a client who presents a danger to himself/herself or to another, or situations indicating physical or sexual abuse of a minor or the elderly.
- Sessions are taped for supervisory purposes. Clients remain anonymous to ensure confidentiality and privacy.
- Services are provided to those who are uninsured, underinsured, or who have no mental health insurance coverage.
- Counselors meet with clients for six to 12 sessions 50 minutes each week.