Marcil Center for Innovative Journalism Mission & Goals
In 2013, a $1 million gift from William C. and Jane B. Marcil funded a new education initiative at MSUM — The Center for Innovative Journalism — which has brought curriculum and technology upgrades to the school to better prepare students for jobs after graduation.
The Center is representative of the longstanding relationship between the School of Communication & Journalism and the Forum Communications Company.
The Marcil's gift continues to prepare the next generation of multimedia journalists by supporting scholarships, equipment upgrades and programming like the ongoing Marcil Apprenticeship.
The William C. Marcil Sr. and Jane B. Marcil Center for Innovative Journalism nurtures and develops future journalists and media professionals as they study media and innovative communication strategies.
- Provide fundamentals in finding, writing and reporting stories
- Teach electronic news gathering
- Encourage the study of social media and analytics
- Teach integrated journalism, business, advertising and public relations
- Provide experiential learning in digital content
- Collaborate with campus, community and high schools to advance innovative journalism