Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC)
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is a federally mandated MSUM Committee charged with overseeing animal use and research on the MSUM campus. All animals housed on campus must be identified in protocols approved by the MSUM IACUC. Personnel working with animals and named in approved protocols must first review animal care policies and procedures posted here and on our companion site on D2L and write the subject-specific test on D2L.
Any member of the MSUM community may report a concern about animal welfare on campus to either the IACUC chair or to the MSUM IACUC Institutional Officer. All reports are confidential. Concerns will be promptly investigated and rectified.
For questions regarding the IACUC, the contents of this webpage and the IACUC site on D2L, please contact Dr. Brian Wisenden.
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals 8e
- Animal Behavior Society Guideline for the Use of Animals (Animal Behaviour 2012 83:301-309)
- Guidelines of the American Society of Mammalogists for use of wild mammals in research (J Mamm 2011 92:235-253)
- Updated guidelines for protection of mammalogists and wildlife researchers from hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) (J Mamm 2010 91:1524-1527)
- Supplemental guide for the care and use of fish in research
- IACUC Protocol Application Form
- Protocol amendment form