More Information.
More details.Hide details.
  • Veteran's Resource Center Resources

Veteran's Resource Center

  • Print
  • Resources

  • Federal Tuition Assistance

    Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) will pay up to a set amount per Army fiscal year (Oct - Sep) in tuition expenses including some student fees. This benefit is may be used in conjunction with the GI Bill and State Tuition Reimbursement. Please note this is not a guaranteed benefit. This program has a finite budget and is paid on a first come, first served basis. Please apply early. You may apply for these benefits within 30 days of your semester/quarter start date.
    This program is available to drilling members of the National Guard or Reserve. In order to receive payment for a course, the course must be completed prior to your separation from the military. You may start receiving FTA benefits the day you enlist. FTA can be reimbursed for out of state institution tuition.
    This benefit is paid up-front. You are required to earn a "C" or better in your classes ("pass" in the event of a pass/fail class). Failure to earn a "C" or better or "pass" may result in recoupment of FTA.

    Click on one of the following links to apply:

    Thank Minnesota Troops

    The Minnesota Military Appreciation Fund is a fund established by private residents of Minnesota to thank Minnesota service members for their service. The MMAF will provide $250 -- $500 to all Minnesota military personnel who have served in a combat zone since September 11, 2001. They will increase the amount of the award to Purple Heart recipients and to the families of those killed in action. See eligibility criteria below.

    • Minnesota taxpaying residents on active military duty
    • Minnesota taxpaying residents assigned to Reserve or Guard units located outside of Minnesota
    • Non-Minnesota taxpayers assigned to a Minnesota Reserve or Guard Unit Member of one of the above mentioned groups who served after September 11, 2001 and was honorably discharged

    To apply go to

    Minnesota War Orphan Tuition Grant

    The State of Minnesota will provide free tuition at any state college or university to Minnesota war orphans until a bachelor's degree or equivalent has been obtained. Eligibility determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Please see eligibility criteria below.

    • The applicant (War Orphan) shall be a resident of the State of Minnesota for at least two years immediately prior to application.
    • The deceased veteran (parent) must have been a Minnesota resident at the time of entry on active military duty and for the six months immediately preceding entry on active duty.
    • The veteran must have died while on active duty, or as a result of a service connected condition. This determination is made by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (US DVA), or other instrumentality of the United States .
    • The definition of "veteran's child" includes birth or adoption, but does not include stepchildren or foster children.

    For more information visit