More Information.
More details.Hide details.
  • Residency and Reciprocity

Registrar's Office

  • Print
  • Residency and Reciprocity

    There are special agreements reached between various states allowing students to pay tuition rates which are less than the non-resident rates. These arrangements are called reciprocity agreements.

    A student in non-resident status will be paying non-resident tuition unless reciprocity is approved for the student by the student’s home state. It is important to apply for reciprocity early to avoid charges for late payment of tuition bills. The student is responsible for the entire non-resident tuition until reciprocity has been approved.

    There are currently reciprocity agreements between Minnesota and…

    North Dakota

    • ALL transfer students (or students who graduated from high school more than 12 months prior to attendance at Minnesota State University Moorhead) must apply to the state of North Dakota for reciprocity. You may apply online or use the paper application.
    • Freshman students entering directly from high school (within 12 months after graduation) for Fall or Spring terms, need NOT apply for reciprocity
    • ND Reciprocity Website and Forms

    South Dakota

    • ALL South Dakota students receive automatic reciprocity if you indicated you are a South Dakota resident on your admission application. Verification of graduation from a South Dakota high school and/or permanent residency status may be requested if you did not graduate from a South Dakota high school within the last year.


    • ALL Wisconsin students must apply to the state of Wisconsin for reciprocity. You may apply online or use the paper application.
    • WI Reciprocity Website and Forms

    It is important that students select the correct academic year when applying for reciprocity and follow the instructions on the respective state websites. Once a student has become eligible for reciprocity, they remain so unless they change schools or do not earn at least one credit during a reciprocity year. In either of these cases, the student must reapply for reciprocity.

    For questions on reciprocity please contact:

    Jill Helm
    Registrar's Office Owens Hall 104