More Information.
More details.Hide details.
  • Key & Card Access

Public Safety

  • Print
  • Key & Card Access

    MSU Moorhead has installed card readers on all exterior doors for the academic buildings. New ID cards with an encoded number have been issued to campus personnel and students. Individuals will be electronically granted access by request through Public Safety Keys and Card Access to buildings.

  • Key & Card Access Procedure

    Permission to have access to a University space must be requested via the online form. Requests for extension of access deadlines may also be submitted through the online form.

    Who Shall Give Permission for:

    Faculty – The departmental Dean, Director or Chair (or designee, ex. Administrative Assistant) must request permissions for the key(s) that are to be administered and/or card access allowed into rooms, and/or through the outside door of buildings.

    Staff – The departmental Dean, Director, Chair or Supervisor (or their designee, ex. Administrative Assistant) must request permission for departmental staff. If the staff does not work with a departmental Chair or Administrative Assistant, key/card access permissions will be accepted from the following persons:

    • University President
    • Vice Presidents
    • Biosciences or Chemistry Department Chair (for labs)
    • Radiation Safety Officer (for Biosciences & Chemistry Biohazard labs)

    Students – Faculty and Staff should submit their requests in online form to the Department Authorized Access Approver, who will forward the approved requests to the Key and Card Access Office. Class lists in Excel or similar format, signed by the instructor and approved by the Department Chair will be accepted in email form.

    Vendors or Contractors – All keys or card access issued to Vendors or Contractors will be cleared through the Physical Plant Manager or Director, Chief Engineer of the Heating Plant, Director of the Student Union or Vice President of Finance and Administration (respective to each individual’s purview). Key access for the Residence Halls must be cleared through the Director of Housing or their designee and obtained at the Housing Office.

    Key and card access shall be issued for the shortest amount of time, as deemed necessary by the Departmental Dean, Director, Chair or Designee.

    All keys and access devices must be signed for and picked up by the person receiving the device.

    Access devices can be picked up at the Public Safety building at any time.

    Failure to return keys or other access devices will require a late/lost fee of $30.00 per device to MSUM. Access devices will not be issued until outstanding fines have been paid. Key fines may be appealed via the online form.

    Call 218.477.2925 or email with any questions.