background image
  • Frequently Asked Questions

Office of Student Activities

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    How can student organizations reserve space for meetings and/or events? 

    Student organizations can reserve space in the Comstock Memorial Union by contacting the CMU Main Office. To reserve space outside of the CMU, contact Scheduling Services.

    Can someone help us plan an event for the student organization? 

    Much of our staff in the OSA is experienced in advising organizations in event planning! Stop by our office, CMU 222, at any time for advice or for events in the CMU, connect with the Assistant Director of Communication and Student Engagement, Annie Wohl, in the CMU Main Office.

    How can my student organization advertise our events?  

    The OSA has several opportunities for student organizations. In addition to banner making, wall and website calendars, mailbox stuffing, and table tents, the OSA encourages Student Organizations to take advantage of our Facebook page to advertise information about meetings and events. Please stop by the OSA or visit our website if you would like to find out more about these advertising opportunities.  

    Do student organizations need to register every year? 

    Student organizations need to register every fall during the annual online registration process. However, if a student organization updates their officers or advisor after the annual registration process is complete, they must update their registration with the Office of Student Activities. 

    Can a student organization get web space or an email address? 

    More often than not, student organizations create Facebook pages and groups in order to have an online presence. Additionally all Student Organizations may post meeting and event information on the OSA Facebook page here. In order for Student Organizations to have their own web page (outside of a social network), Student organizations must be a recognized student organization to be eligible for web space or a mnstate email address. In both cases, the advisor must contact the Information Technology department on campus to set up the accounts. 

    What should a student organization do if they want to hold a fundraiser and/or sell merchandise on campus?

    First, only recognized student organizations are allowed to fundraise. Once a student organization receives University recognition, they are able to conduct a wide range of fundraisers. The OSA has a Tidbit (under the resources tab) on fundraising to help determine an activity that will work for your student organization. Once you decide on an activity, please contact the OSA to ensure you are in line with University policies, especially if you plan on selling food on-campus, holding a raffle or other types of gambling, or soliciting money from area businesses. If you have any other questions, stop by.

    Do student organizations have mailboxes on campus? 

    Yes! All student organizations have a mailbox located in the Office of Student Activities, CMU 222. It is the responsibility of the organization officers to check the organization's mailbox on a regular basis. 

    Where can student organizations make banners?

    Student organizations can use the banner making supplies located in the Activities Resource Center, CMU 225. To hang posters and banners in the CMU, they must be approved at the CMU Info Desk.

    How does a student organization write a constitution? 

    Constitutions are the framework of any organization. The details and explanations should be concise, easy-to-follow, and flexible enough to allow for change and growth. Each constitution must include the University required statements. A sample constitution is available here. For constitution examples and for assistance in writing or making changes to a constitution, please contact the Office of Student Activities, CMU 222.