The Moorhead Public Library was established in 1904, when the Women’s Club of Moorhead, Minnesota persuaded the Moorhead City Council to establish an annual library fund. Andrew Carnegie, retired steel magnate and philanthropist, donated $12,000 for the construction of the first library building which opened in 1906. The building has since been replaced by a modern structure, which opened in 1962 and was remodeled and enlarged in 1988. Moorhead Public Library today is part of the Lake Agassiz Regional Library, a seven county library system for west central Minnesota.
Material includes annual reports, correspondence, staff newsletters, early financial ledgers, scrapbooks, and photographs concerning the library and its activities since 1905. The collection includes plans and information on the construction of the current building, two articles on the history of the library, and a long range plan for the Lake Agassiz Regional system. Also of special note is the manuscript journal of the Red River Congress, organized in 1873 by Solomon Comstock and several other early Moorhead settles, as a lyceum and civic improvement group. All materials are in excellent condition.