More Information.
More details.Hide details.

Human Resources

  • Print
  • Separation Procedures


    Whether you might be pursing an exciting new career opportunity, transitioning to a new area, or retiring from Minnesota State University Moorhead, the Office of Human Resources is here to assist during the process. The following information is provided to assist staff and faculty who are separating from the University.

    General Separation Procedures for Employees

    1. Employees who decide to retire or resign from State service should submit a written letter to his/her immediate supervisor. The written, signed and dated letter should include the last day of employment and any other applicable information.
    2. Employees should return state property to his/her immediate supervisor on or prior to final date of employment. Items such as:
      • Employee ID card (return to Information Technology)
      • Electronic Devices - Computers, laptops, iPads, tablets, cell phones, etc. (return to Information Technology)
      • Building/Office Keys or Key Fobs (return to Public Safety)
      • Parking Permit(return to Public Safety - check to see if you are eligible for a refund)
      • Purchasing Card (return to Business Services Office)
      • Livingston Lord Library materials (return to Library)
    3. Employee should determine date to vacate office (if different than last date of employment) with supervisor
    4. Employee should redirect any personal mail, email or subscriptions to another address
    5. Employee should submit final timesheet or leave requests prior to last day
    6. Employee should complete the exit interview survey, that is sent via email from Human Resources
    7. SAVE the Employee Self-Service website link and your state ID number. You can access Employee Self-Service even after separation from state service.