background image
  • Taxes

International Student Services

  • International Student Taxes

    All non-immigrant international students who were present in the U.S. during any part of the calendar year (from January to December) are responsible for filing a tax report to the U.S. Internal Revenue Services (IRS) by April 15th of each year. 

    Filing tax report is required whether or not you worked in the U.S., earned income in the U.S. or received a scholarship. The good news is that if you earned income in the U.S., you may be eligible for a tax refund if you overpaid or a complete reimbursement based on tax treaties. Filing taxes can be very time-consuming and difficult at times, so International Student Services will assist you to file your taxes. 

    Tax Sessions

    • Wednesday | March 4th  and Tuesday, March 24th | 6-7pm (TBA)
    • What to bring for the sessions: Passport, Tax forms (W-2, 1042-S etc), pen/pencil and a calculator

    What forms should an international student file?

    • Form 8843:
      Must be filed by ALL international students in the U.S. regardless of your income and employment status in the U.S.

      8843 Form Instructions
      8843 Form and Instructions 

    • Form 1040NR-EZ:
      Must be filed by all international students who have receive any type of U.S. income other than interest received from U.S. banks and credit unions. The regular tax forms can ONLY be applied IF you have lived/studied in the U.S. for more than 5 years. Tax filing year should be your 6th year.
      1040 NR EZ Form 
      1040 NR EZ Form Instructions  

    Mail the forms to:
    Department of the Treasury
    Internal Revenue Services Center
    Austin, TX 73301-0215 USA

    Online Paid Assistance for International Students