background image
  • Employment

International Student Services

  • Employment

    Working On-Campus

    F-1 and J-1 students are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours/week when school is in session and 40 hours/week when school is not in session (i.e. spring break, fall break and summer time). The work does not need to be related to your field of study. You must maintain legal F-1 or J-1 status while engaging in on campus employment.  

    Definition of On-Campus Employment

    • On campus employment includes work done as a teacher or research assistant, as well as jobs in the university library, housing, laboratories, departments and administrative offices
    • On campus also includes employment with on-location commercial services which provides student services on campus, such as stores, Sodexo and banks located in a University-owned building.

    On Campus Employment Requirements

    • Students must be enrolled in a full course of study during academic year
    • Obtain a paid job offer on campus
    • Complete the work authorization process at International Student Services
    • You may not work more than 20 hours per week on campus

    Social Security Number (SSN)

    You will need a social security number to work in the U.S., even on campus. The Social Security Administration will ONLY assign SSN to students with documentation certifying that they have an on campus job or are authorized to work.

    Documents needed to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN)

    • Job offer letter on a department/University letterhead
    • Valid employment authorization from International Student Services
    • Valid Passport
    • I-94 card
    • Current I-20

    Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

    ITIN is a tax processing number, issued by the IRS, for certain resident and non-resident aliens, their spouses and their dependents. A nine digit number in the same format as the SSN (9XX-8X-XXXX), begins with a "9" and the 4th and 5th digits range from "70" to "88" and only available to individuals who need a tax payer identification number for valid tax purposes and who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, an SSN from the Social Security Administration. For more information on applying for an ITIN number and where to mail the form, please read the ITIN PowerPoint Presentation from IRS. 

    Working Off Campus

    Immigration regulations extremely limit an international student's eligibility to accept employment off campus. Students found working illegally are in violation of F-1 status and are in serious risk of having their F-1 visa revoked. We strongly encourage international students to obtain proper authorization prior working off campus. Students may feel they are gaining short-term financial advantages by working off campus unauthorized, but it has potential long-term devastating immigration effects. Please visit International Student Services to discuss your options.

    Please note: International students cannot participate in Pracs medical testing or giving blood or plasma for money. Financial gain from the above is still unauthorized employment. If caught it can result in deportation, immigration fines and lose F-1/J-1 privileges. 

    Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

    Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is employment that trains you in your particular field of study for which you fulfill academic credit or part of your degree requirement. It can be a paid or unpaid internship, cooperative education job, a practicum or other program-related job. If interested, students must submit a CPT application to International Student Services. Please visit our CPT page for more information.  

    Optional Practical Training (OPT)

    Optional Practical Training (OPT) is working in your major area of study as authorized by the USCIS. A student must enroll one full academic year to be eligible to apply for OPT benefit. Students interested in applying for OPT first must fulfill all the requirements from our OPT page before making an appointment with International Student Services.  

    Severe Economic Hardship

    This benefit is available for students have completed at least one academic year and have proved a severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond the students' control which arose while maintaining F-1 status, and that campus employment opportunities are not available or are otherwise insufficient. This type of employment is extremely rare. Students must submit an application with USCIS and approval of the application is not guaranteed. If students want to pursue this option, please make and appointment once all the requirements have been met at our Economic Hardship page.