The purpose of the VPN Client is to connect to MSUM resources off campus using your computer.
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. Typically, a VPN is used to establish a secure network tunnel between two points through the use of strong encryption. Historically, this technology has been used to securely connect employees at home on the Internet with connections to corporate or educational networks that would otherwise be blocked by a firewall or would potentially compromise sensitive data should the data be transmitted in an unencrypted format.
How do I install, configure and use the VPN Client on a Mac or PC?
- Go to msum1.mnstate.edu
- Please note: You may be prompted that your connection is not private, please know that it is safe and add it as an exception.
- You will be prompted to log in. Please enter your StarID username and password.
- Once you are logged in on the left-hand side click the option that says "AnyConnect"
- Once you click the "AnyConnect" button, the center of the screen should say "Start AnyConnect", please click on that link.
- A window will pop up in the middle of your screen and scan your computer to make sure the VPN Client will work on your machine. Once this process is complete you will be taken to a step that says "Download".
- Click on the link in the window to download and install the VPN Client.
- Once the VPN Client is installed you can run the program. Follow the appropriate instructions below for launching the VPN Client.
- Windows 10 PC:
- Click on the ‘Start’ button in the lower left corner of the screen, in the search bar type ‘Cisco’ and the ‘Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client’ should appear for you to run.
- Windows 8 or 8.1 PC:
- From the Windows tile screen type in ‘Cisco AnyConnect’ and click to run the application
- MAC Computer
- From the desktop screen click on Go > Applications and run the application ‘Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client’
- Windows 10 PC:
- The first time you run the VPN client you will have to put in what you want to connect to type in "msum1.mnstate.edu"
- You will then be prompted for a username and password. Please enter your StarID username and password.
If you need further assistance with installing and running the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client you may contact the MSUM IT Help Desk.
How do I install, configure & use the VPN Client on a Chromebook?
You can utilize the following instructions to setup the Cisco Anyconnect VPN client on your chromebook: VPN-for-Chromebooks
Are mobile devices like tablets and phones supported on the VPN?
Mobile devices like tablets and phones are not supported at this time. (examples: iPad, iPhone, Windows Surface, android phones…)