• Housing Resident Frequently Asked Questions


  • Print
  • Housing Resident Frequently Asked Questions

    What Is My Address?

    Your address in the residence halls is as follows:

    Student Name (i.e. Joe Dragon)
    Room Number and Residence Hall Name (i.e. 105 Grantham Hall)
    Moorhead, MN 56563-[zip code extension]

    Building Zip Code Extension Numbers:

    • Ballard - 1010
    • Dahl - 1020
    • Nelson - 1030
    • Grantham - 1040
    • Holmquist - 1050
    • East Snarr – 1060
    • South Snarr - 1070
    • West Snarr - 1080
    • John Neumaier - 1090

    Renter's Insurance

    We strongly encourage our students to pursue renters insurance. You may arrange for renter's insurance through your own insurance company. MSUM does not insure personal belongings in student rooms. While we hope students will never need to file a renter's insurance claim, it is important to be prepared just in case.

    MicroFridge Rental

    A limited number of MicroFridge (combination refrigerator, freezer, and microwave) will be available for rental on a first come first serve basis. They are $75 per semester. To reserve one, go to http://www.mnstate.edu/housing/forms.aspx and click on the MicroFridge link. If you reserve prior to the official Move-In Day, your MicroFridge will be in your room when you move in.

    When Can I Move In?

    Residence Hall students move in on Thursday, August 18th, at 8am. To check-in, go to your residence hall, then visit your RA on your floor to receive your check-in packet and keys. Download our Move-In Guide [here].

    John Neumaier Apartment students can begin checking in on August 1st. The John Neumaier Front Desk is open from 12 noon – 4pm during the summer. If you arrive when the front desk is closed, please call the phone number posted at the desk for assistance.

    Need Something Repaired?  

    If you encounter something in your room in need of repair (a light is burned out, a drawer sticks, or your closet will not close); go to your front desk to submit a work order for a repair to your room as soon as possible. 

    Public Safety Items to Complete/Update

    Personal information can be provided in advance to Public Safety that allows them the ability to best alert and protect you in case of an emergency. Please explore the following forms on the Public Safety website.

    • Emergency Contact Information: In the event that you are reported missing, the confidential emergency contact you provide on this form will be used by Public Safety in an attempt to locate you.
    • Personal Property Registration System: This system allows you to register any valuable personal property items with Public Safety in the event that something should happen.
    • E2Campus: This is an emergency notification service that allows MSUM the ability to communicate health and safety emergency information quickly to the email address or cell phone number you provide them.

    Helpful Links

    Other Questions?

    Please contact the Housing and Residential Life Office at 218.477.2118 or housing@mnstate.edu. The Housing and Residential Life Office is located in Ballard Hall and is open Monday-Friday from 8am-4:30pm.