• Applying for Financial Aid

Office of Scholarship & Financial Aid

  • Print
  • Applying for Financial Aid

    In order to determine financial aid eligibility, all students need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by going to www.fafsa.gov. For the 2016-2017 year, students may apply beginning January 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017. However, to be considered for most types of aid, apply by the MSUM priority date of February 15, 2016. To ensure aid is available when the fall term bill is due, apply no later than June 15, 2016.

    The financial aid application process consists of several steps. At each step we may ask for information or additional documentation. The entire process can take 6-12 weeks. Please keep this in mind and respond to any requests promptly. Be sure to check out the summary of steps in the financial aid application process .

  • If you have graduated from high school or completed the GED and not yet attended a post-secondary institution, you are classified as a freshman in the admission process. Also, you are classified as a freshman if you have attended a post-secondary institution while still in high school.

    A First Year student is one who has graduated from high school or completed the GED but decided to sit out a semester or more before beginning college.


    Transferring can be a confusing process. Here at Minnesota State University Moorhead, we hope that the following information will help ease the confusion when transferring between schools. Click on the following links for specific information on transferring between schools.

    Transferring to MSUM

    Transferring from MSUM to another institution

    Tri-College Transfers


    We welcome students who have left Minnesota State University Moorhead for one or more semesters and would like to return. A returning student is not someone who was admitted but never registered for classes at MSUM.

    Students who return to school for a second bachelor’s degree or teacher certification have limited eligibility for financial aid. Students must identify their courses and degree program using the  Degree Certification form. Second degree students must be seeking a second undergraduate degree which is different from the first degree; pursuing teacher certification; preparatory work for a graduate program at MSUM. Students seeking a second major or minor are not eligible for federal aid but may apply for SELF and private educational loans.

    Funding is available through Federal or State Work Study, Federal Perkins, Federal Direct, Federal PLUS, SELF, or private loan programs. Priority for work and Perkins goes to first degree students. Requirements in those programs may limit eligibility.


    Students who continue their education beyond the first undergraduate degree must assume more financial responsibility than is expected of undergraduates. Financial aid for MSUM graduate students is usually a form of self-help such as Federal or State Work Study or loans.

    Graduate students must be admitted to a graduate degree program to be considered for graduate level funding. Awards are based on full time enrollment in graduate level courses (not undergraduate). Full time for graduate students is 8 credits; half time is 6 credits.


    The MN Dream Act (also known as The Prosperity Act) was introduced by Senator Sandra Pappas (SF723) and Representative Carlos Mariani (HF875) and was included in the omnibus Higher Education bill passed by the 2013 Minnesota Legislature and signed into law by Governor Dayton on May 23, 2013. The MN Dream Act will provide certain benefits to undocumented students who meet certain criteria. Go to http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=2056 for more information and eligibility requirements.