Frequently Asked Questions About Hendrix Clinic & Counseling Center Transition

  • FAQs related to MSUM transition from Hendrix Clinic & Counseling Center to MSUM Counseling Services

    The following questions have been asked by MSUM students regarding the transition from Hendrix Clinic to MSUM Counseling Services:

    Reasons for Change

    • Why is this change happening?
      Hendrix has experienced budgetary challenges since 2012, in part due to a decline in patients served at the clinic and a reduction in health insurance reimbursement rates. MSUM leaders have attempted to improve the financial situation by changing staffing models for our services and reducing the number of service hours. Unfortunately, those changes have not improved the bottom line. At the same time, we’ve faced intense competition with an increasing number of medical providers and pharmacies across the metro. The result is a model that is unsustainable. However, the need for mental health services is increasing. We have made the difficult decision to eliminate the clinic and pharmacy at Hendrix in order to provide enhanced mental health services to meet the needs of our students.
    • When will this change take effect?
      The medical, lab, and pharmacy services will close July 1, 2019. The department will become MSUM Counseling Services and, for now, will remain in the same building.

    Medical Records

    • What will happen to my current medical and/or pharmacy records with this transition?
      The last day that the Hendrix will be open for medical and pharmacy needs will be Wednesday, June 26, 2019. After that day, all active prescriptions at the pharmacy will be transferred to Medical Pharmacy – Moorhead. This pharmacy is located inside the Hornbacher’s grocery store, which is 5 blocks north of campus. Medical Pharmacy – Moorhead is open weekdays from 8am to 9pm; Saturdays from 9am to 6pm; and Sundays 12pm – 5pm. They accept most insurance plans and are an in-network provider for the United Healthcare insurance plan for international students. If you wish to transfer your prescriptions from Medical Pharmacy – Moorhead to another area pharmacy, they will help you do this.
      MSUM will continue to maintain students’ medical records after the clinic closes. If you wish to obtain a copy of your medical records, the staff at Counseling Services can print them for you. Please call ahead to make your request to allow time to for processing.
      If you have a medical issue and need to find a new provider, here are a few options for you:
      1. Call your insurance company to ask for a list of in-network providers in the Fargo-Moorhead community, or
      2. Call to make an appointment with the Director of Counseling Services, Angela Bellanger. She would be happy to meet with you to discuss this. Once our Case Manager has been hired, this individual will also be available to help you find an appropriate medical provider.

    Finding a Doctor or Clinic

    • What if I need to see a doctor and don’t know anyone in the community?
      Counseling Services is hiring a Navigator/Case Manager to work with all students to access community-based medical providers that are most appropriate based on your needs and insurance. This professional will also help if you don’t have insurance by accessing providers who can work with you directly or to identify options for insurance programs that will best meet your needs and budget.
    • How far away is the nearest community clinic or pharmacy?
      Within about 3 miles of the MSUM campus, you’ll find:
      • 8 medical clinics, including walk-in and full-service clinics.
      • 12 pharmacies, including some that take prescription orders online or through text and are open extended hours, 7 days a week.
    • How will this new model of services through Counseling Services benefit me?
      The Case Manager will:
      • work with you directly to understand your health insurance coverage or to acquire health insurance,
      • assist you in finding the best provider options given your individual health insurance coverage plans,
      • advocate for your healthcare needs,
      • develop systems to improve the referral and appointment-making process for students seeking medical and mental health services in the community.


    • What if I have an emergency medical situation and cannot drive or ride the bus to the nearest clinic?
      If you experience a medical emergency, please contact MSUM Public Safety. They will work with Moorhead Police to determine the best way to proceed. Even when Hendrix medical providers were on-site, they were unable to treat some emergency patients and worked with authorities to transport students to larger medical facilities via ambulance. These services will remain available through the Case Manager at Counseling Services and officers at Public Safety.


    • I don’t have a car. How will I get to an off-campus clinic?
      You have access to free rides through the MAT Bus system and the bus stop on campus. Many clinics and pharmacies are located on those bus routes and are easily accessible without transportation. MSUM will work with MAT Bus, utilizing their app, to identify the most convenient bus routes to access one of the local clinics and/or pharmacies. We’ll also work with local taxi companies to provide students who do not have transportation with free taxi rides to local clinics and pharmacies.

    International Students

    • As an international student, I need a home clinic covered by my insurance that offers low co-payment rates for office visits and prescription medications. Where will that be?
      We are pleased to announce that Family HealthCare will now be the home clinic for international students! This medical provider offers all of the services that you previously found on MSUM’s campus, and more. Students with United Healthcare insurance coverage will be able to access the following services all in one place: medical, dental, vision, pharmacy, nutrition, behavioral health, physical therapy, and lab. United Healthcare insurance coverage rates will be the same as you had at the MSUM health clinic. Check out the services that they provide at their website.
      Domestic Students if you have questions about health care services and coverage please seek out your insurance carrier or stop by and see someone at MSUM Counseling Services.
    • How can I get information about United Healthcare insurance and my insurance card?
      You should plan to have a copy of your insurance ID card with you when accessing services at Family HealthCare.
      Starting in Fall 2019, our Case Manager will be able to assist you with questions like this. However, if you need information before then, we would encourage you to check out the United Healthcare website. If you have already enrolled in this insurance, you will be able to follow the prompts and log in as a member. Once you are logged in, look for the “My Account” link. This is where you will find links to print off or download a pdf of your ID Card. United Healthcare also has an app available on both Google Play and the App Store, if you would like to download that to your smart phone or device.

    Counseling Services

    • How does this change impact my ability to access counseling services at MSUM?
      Counseling services will remain intact at MSUM with additional services offered such as group counseling, education and awareness campaigns, outreach to student groups and classrooms, etc. We will continue to offer ADHD and other psychological assessments. The Navigator/Case Manager will also help patients access specialized therapeutic services in the community.

    I Still Have Questions

    • This is all really confusing to me. Is there a way that I can learn more about the new Counseling Services, including the Navigator/Case Manager position and how that person will help me?
      We agree. These changes will impact our students and this Case Manager position is new to MSUM. In order to learn more about how this will all work, look for informational sessions to be offered in the fall. The Dean of Students and Counseling Services are available for one-on-one consultation throughout the transition.
    • I still have more questions and concerns about this transition. Who can I talk to about this?
      We are committed to making this transition for student health services as smooth as possible. We have met with various students and student groups over the past months to listen to their concerns and to seek to address them. If you have additional questions or concerns not addressed here, please contact Kara Gravley-Stack, Dean of Students.
    • Why is there a Health Services Fee on my tuition bill?
      Student Health Fees will still be on student accounts and labeled Student Health Fees. This is part of the student activity fees at MSUM. We cannot change the name of the fees. This fee allows students to participate in workshops on self-care, depression, anxiety, participate in 5K walk/runs, training on suicide awareness, positive psychology groups, one on one mental health services, access to the case manager/navigator to set up medical service and transportation.