More Information.
More details.Hide details.
  • Refunds

Business Services

  • Print
  • Refund of Tuition & Fees Due to Withdrawal

    MSUM will refund tuition and fees for individually dropped courses only if the drop occurs within:

    • the first five (5) business days of the semester
    • the first five (5) business days of summer sessions that are three (3) weeks or more in length
    • one (1) business day of summer sessions that are less than fifteen (15) business days in length

    If a student totally withdraws from the University, MSUM will refund a percentage of tuition and fees to the student and/or the student's financial aid funding sources according to the following schedule as established by the MnSCU Board of Trustees and the University:

    • Fall and Spring Semesters
      • 1st through 5th business day of term 100%
      • 6th through 10th business day of term 75%
      • 11th through 15th business day of term 50%
      • 16th through 20th business day of term 25%
      • After the 20th business day of term 0%

    • Summer Sessions and other terms at least three weeks but less than ten weeks in length
      • 1st through 5th business day of term 100%
      • 6th through 10th business day of term 50%
      • After the 10th business day of term 0%

    • Summer Sessions and other terms less than three weeks in length
      • 1st business day of term 100%
      • 2nd and 3rd business day of term 50%
      • After 3rd business day of term 0%

    Students who withdraw from all courses or discontinue enrollment during the Fall or Spring semesters should review information available at the Academic Support Center. Those students who wish to withdraw during the Summer Sessions should report to the Registrar's Office, Owens Hall 104.

    Return to Title IV (R2T4) and Minnesota State Financial Aid

    Procedures for refunding institutional charges for students receiving Title IV and Minnesota State financial are established by the MnSCU Board, MN Office of Higher Education, Federal statutory refund policy and the University.

    Institutional charge refunds for students who received Federal or State aid are determined under Federal and Minnesota financial aid refund calculations and will first be repaid, up to the initial award amount received, to those aid funding sources in the order directed by the Department of Education and Office of Higher Education. Any eligible refund dollars will be disbursed to the student (except refunds less than $1).

    Students who have received 'unearned' Federal Title IV aid funding for the term will repay Title IV funds in this order: Unsubsidized Direct Loan,Subsidized Direct Loan, Perkins Loan, Direct Graduate PLUS, Direct Parent PLUS, Pell Grant, SEOG Grant, TEACH Grant, and Iraq/Afghanistan Service Grant.

    • Federal regulations require repayment of 'unearned' aid for students withdrawing or who discontinue attending class any time prior to the 60th percentile of the term.
    • The calculation used to determine how much aid a student has 'earned' and need not repay is: calendar days attended divided by total calendar days in the term equals percentage earned. The amount to be repaid is the remaining percentage or 'unearned' percentage. Example: If the student withdraws after attending 28 calendar days out of 112 days (25%), 75% of the Federal aid received must be repaid. The 75% is considered unused or "unearned."
    • No funds are disbursed after a total withdrawal except: Grant funds that were awarded prior to withdrawal; Federal loans that were originated prior to withdrawal and for with promissory notes have been signed prior to completion of the R2T4 calculation.
    • The withdrawal date will be the date the University is notified of withdrawal (official) or either the last reported date of academic activity or the midpoint of the enrollment period (unofficial).
    • Return of federal funds will be completed no more than 45 days after determination of withdrawal.
    • Federal aid is first used to pay University charges.
    • The student will be required to pay the 'unearned' aid funding not repaid by the University.
    • Failure to repay will place a hold on official transcripts, diplomas, and future registration.


    Exceptions: Private loan dollars are excluded from immediate student repayment on the assumption the student will follow loan repayment according to the terms of the promissory note(s). Further, student repayment of grant funds will be reduced by 50%, after the ‘unearned’ calculation is determined and after the University’s repayment amount is subtracted.

    Students who received Minnesota State aid funding for the term (Minnesota State Grant, Postsecondary Child Care Grant, GI Bill Program, and Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program):

    If the calculation made per the Office of Higher Education Refund Calculation Worksheet results in a refund of institutional charges and, after the institution’s share of any required refund to Title IV programs has been made, a proportional share of any remaining refund must be returned to state financial aid programs (not to exceed the amount of the payment the student initially received from a Minnesota State aid program).

    Regulations stipulate the student’s repayment choices:

    • Repay to the University the ‘unearned’ aid amount in full within 45 days of the school’s notification of a repayment requirement.
    • Make Title IV financial aid program repayment arrangements with the Department of Education via the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS, 800-621-3115).

    Students who wish to appeal refund policies and/or percentages used for determining the refund amounts may file a "Tuition Refund Appeal". No refunds will be granted for less than $1.00.

    Resident Hall Refunds are based on the number of days remaining in the term. A $50.00 administrative charge will be deducted from the Housing refund. Contact the Housing and Residential Life office at 218-477-2118 or

    If you are withdrawing for military reasons, please see the University Military Withdrawal Policy. Contact the Registrar's Office at 218-477-2565 or

    Tuition Refund Appeals

    Students who discontinue class attendance based on extenuating circumstances or some situation out of their control may file a tuition refund appeal within 90 days of the end of the term for which a refund is requested. By filing a tuition refund appeal, students are requesting consideration for a refund of tuition and fees for a total withdrawal from the University or for individual courses dropped after the free drop/add period. Tuition refunds for graded courses cannot be considered because a grade indicates that the student has completed the course. In order to change a graded course to “W”, contact the Records Office and file an academic appeal form. If the Academic Appeal committee grants your request, you may then request a tuition refund by completing a tuition refund appeal form. Refund appeals must be submitted within 90 days of the end of the term for which a refund is requested.

    Individual Course Appeals: Appealing an individual course may not result in a refund if student is still in the banded tuition rate (12-19 credits) unless the course has differential tuition/personal property/service charges. The differential tuition/personal property/service charge portion would be refunded if the appeal is approved. Approved appeals relating to individually dropped courses may have an impact on financial aid eligibility. Students who are concerned with the effect of an approved refund on their aid eligibility should contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office prior to submitting the appeal.

    Tuition refund appeal forms are available online, at Business Services, the Records Office, and the Academic Support Center. The completed form should be returned to Business Services, Owens Hall 106, along with required documentation such as a supporting statement from a doctor, counselor, university advisor/instructor(s), or job supervisor. The appeal committee meets once a month or as demand dictates. Strict and confidential privacy regulations apply to all submitted appeals.