More Information.
More details.Hide details.
  • Frequently Asked ASC Questions

Academic Support Center

  • Print
  • Frequently Asked ASC Questions

    When and how do I register for my classes for next semester?

    Registration advising begins about a week or two after Mid-terms, depending on the semester. You can check this by looking at the current academic calendar and checking the dates for registration. You can schedule a meeting time with your advisor by checking the schedule they should have placed on their door, or e-mailing them. Class schedules are only available online and can be accessed through your e-services. If you have any trouble with this, come to the ASC.

    When does a person have to declare a major?

    There is no deadline, but you have to have a major to graduate and since most majors require courses taken over at least a two-year period, students should decide on their majors during their sophomore year if they plan to graduate within four years.

    It is important to note that some majors, because of prerequisite sequence courses, must be started in the first term of their freshman year if students wish to graduate in eight semesters. These include, particularly, science and science related majors, as well as music and art.

    Where can I find out who my faculty advisor is?

    Your advisor is listed on your class schedule viewable in your e-services or you can check at the ASC, Flora Frick 154, or at the Registrar's Office in Owens Hall.

    How do I change majors or faculty advisors?

    Get a gold colored "Change of Major/Advisor" form at the Registrar's Office or the ASC and take it to the department or individual advisor of your choice. When the form is completed return it to the Registrar's Office.

    For changes to an undeclared or a different undeclared advisor come to the Academic Support Center in Flora Frick 154.

    How can I register for Tri-College classes?

    Complete the form available at the Registrar's Office or online. You will go through MSUM to register for tri-college classes, so you don't need to register at the college you want to take classes at.

    Where can I get a copy of my transcript?

    The easiest way is to log on to e-services and under the Student tab, select Grades and Transcripts, then click on Academic Record. If you need an official transcript you need to fill out a request form online.

    What are the biggest majors on campus?

    Undeclared, Business, Education, and Mass Communications

    Where do I find information about financial aid?

    In the Financial Aid Office, first floor in Owens Hall.

    What is an "I" (incomplete) grade?

    An instructor may be willing to give you an I if you have completed most of the work for your course but are unable to, for example, take the final or turn in a term paper, etc. Incompletes must normally be made up within the next semester or they will become F's.

    What is an individualized major "University Studies"?

    A multi-disciplinary major of 46 credits designed by a junior or senior student with his or her advisor. For more information, contact the ASC.

    Why do we have to take Dragon Core/LASC classes?

    Liberal arts universities (of which we are one) require broad general education or liberal studies programs, which are designed to give all students academically well-rounded and interdisciplinary experiences in all areas of knowledge.

    Is it better to get your LASC credits over with first so you can concentrate on you major?

    Not necessarily, but it is best to concentrate on LASC courses the first few semesters and to take beginning courses in the major or majors you are considering. The more liberal studies courses you take, the better you are prepared for most majors and careers. It is advisable to take the deepest and widest selection of LASC courses possible.

    Why does everyone have to take freshman English?

    All majors require you to be able to write effectively. Under LASC, you will be required to take one semester of English 101.

    How many hours a night should I study?

    The usual rule is an average of 2 hours of study for every hour spent in class. Most freshmen find out, a little too late, that they didn't study enough in first semester.

    Help with study skills is readily available in the ASC.

    How often can I cut classes?

    Basically never. Absence from classes is the primary reason students fail courses. Cutting, if ever started, becomes a self-destructive habit. Some teachers announce an absolute maximum number of absences allowed. Some departments have absence policies for certain courses (i.e. Freshman English, Speech).

    Do all classes require papers?

    No, but many do. Learning to write well is one of the most valuable skills a student can learn. It affects the grade received in almost every class. It really is worth working on.

    What are the greatest academic dangers for new MSUM students?

    • Not attending every class (even occasional cutting is a dangerous game)
    • Working too many hours
    • Not realizing how different college is from high school (nobody except you can keep tabs on your progress during the semester).

    How is my GPA determined?

    Divide the number of grade points (right hand column on transcript) by the attempted credits in graded courses. Do not count credits graded W, X, or S. Count F credits. Only MSUM grades are counted. Cumulative GPA includes all courses taken at MSUM. Try out this GPA Calculator to help you determine your GPA.

    Where are "good" places to study?

    In the library, (note the 24-hour study areas), CMU, empty classrooms, residence hall study areas.

    Are scholarships available after the freshman year?

    Yes. Apply at the Financial Aid Office, first floor Owens. Pick up applications in December for February 1 deadline.

    What do I do if a class is closed and I need it to graduate this year?

    Contact the instructor for the class you want to take and ask him or her for special permission or a registration override. Be aware that you will need to go in and register for that class, the override entered by the instructor DOES NOT register you, it simply keeps a spot open in the class.

    How does a person withdraw from college?

    Start by going to the Academic Support Center. They will provide you with a packet of information that walks you through the withdrawal process. Following all the steps of the withdrawal process ensures that you will have an easier time when you are ready to return to college, and a minimal impact on your financial aid eligibility. If this is impossible, call the Academic Support Center at 218.477.4318 or the Registrar's Office at 218.477.2565.

    What are the most common causes of failure at MSUM?

    Trying to take a full class schedule and also work over 15 hours per week. A student must cut down on credits or work hours. Failure to realize that MSUM is not high school. Here you're an adult; nobody checks up on you. Not attending class every day.