How Do I Transfer to MSUM?
Whether you're transferring from a community college, technical school or another university, the information found on this page is a quick "how-to" guide that can help answer your questions throughout the transfer process.
If you’ve completed an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) at a regionally accredited institution, you will likely have completed your Liberal Arts and Sciences Curriculum at MSUM.
- MN: Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)
- ND: General Education Requirement Transfer Agreement (GERTA)
There may also be an articulation agreement between MSU Moorhead and your two-year school for your major program.
Once accepted, we will complete an official transfer credit evaluation (Degree Audit Report).
Submit an application, we accept applications as early as one year in advance of the beginning of the term. It is preferable to apply at least three months prior to the start of the term you’re interested in attending. If you’ve applied for a past term but did not attend, you must complete a new application.
The admission requirements for transfer students are:
High school graduation or completion of the GED and the following qualifications are necessary for admission to MSUM:
- Completion of a minimum of 24 academic semester credit hours or 36 academic quarter credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
- If you have completed fewer than 24 academic semester credit hours, you must provide both your college and high school official transcripts to determine admission eligibility. You must meet our freshman admission requirements to be eligible for admission.
- A minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in post-secondary credits earned or attempted.
- All grades of F, NC (No Credit), or Incomplete will be treated as Fs in computing your GPA.
If you are transferring to MSUM, please be aware that:
- MSU Moorhead recognizes and upholds academic suspensions from other post-secondary institutions. If you are under suspension from another institution, you will not be considered for admission until two academic terms have passed since the suspension. Summer session does not count as a term.
- You may apply for admission to MSU Moorhead before you complete your studies at another college. You will, however, need to forward a final transcript before enrollment. We reserve the right to revoke admission to students who, after final grades are received, do not meet the minimum 2.0 GPA.
- A higher GPA may be required for entry into some academic departments.
For help with your transfer questions, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
To ensure a timely admission decision, please send all application materials, including in progress transcripts, at time of application.
In order for your application to be processed you must submit the following in addition to an application for an upcoming academic term:
- All official transcripts from any college or university you’ve previously been enrolled at (including credits from high school). Transcripts from a school in the Minnesota State system do not need to be sent because they will be downloaded.
- $20 non-refundable application fee (pay online at time of application submission or by contacting Business Services)
- If you have fewer than 24 semester college credits or 36 quarter college credits completed when you apply, send an official high school transcript and ACT/SAT scores. If you’ve completed fewer than 60 semester credits you may have to send an official high school transcript for financial aid purposes.
If transcripts are not in the same name as the application (due to a legal name change), it is your responsibility to have the name corrected on the transcripts so that the application and transcripts can be linked.
Once we have received all application materials, your application will be processed within 10 business days. You’ll be notified via email and mail once a decision has been made.
You can check the status of your application by contacting your Admissions Representative.
Congratulations! We are so excited for you to continue your studies with us. We have everything you need to get you off to a good start.
- Check out the New Student Checklist for next steps
- Sign up for New Student Orientation and Registration (SOAR) where you’ll work with an advisor to register for your first semester of courses.
- To ensure all of your credits are evaluated and transferred, be sure to send your final official transcript before you attend your registration session.
- Maintain course registration by making a financial commitment to the university at least 15 days prior to the start of the semester. Inability to do so will result in dismissal from your registered courses.
We encourage you to appeal the decision so we can get to know a little more about you and to help us put your life circumstances in perspective.
- Complete the Admission Appeal Form
If you’re denied admission you can appeal the decision by submitting two letters of recommendation and an appeal form. If you have any questions about this process, please contact your Admissions Representative.
- Get Started at M State
We encourage students who are not yet admissible to MSU Moorhead to attend Minnesota State Community and Technical College, (M State) or another community college to improve your academic standing. When you are ready to transfer, please submit a new application for admission.
Our partnership with M State provides a seamless transfer process and the opportunity to live on MSUM’s campus as you’re attending M State, Moorhead. Learn more about Moorhead Connect.
MSUM’s FAFSA code: 2367