Accessibility Resources & Housing & Residential Life

  • Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Agreement

    ALL fields are required

    Owner/Handler's Name:

    Dragon ID:


    Contact Phone:

    Animal Name:

    Type of Animal:

    Physical Description of Animal:

    Veterinarian Name:

    Veterinarian Phone:

    Please email the Veterinarian's verification that the animal has all Veterinary recommended vaccinations to maintain the animal's health and prevent contagious disease.

    Owner's/Handler's Responsibilities in university housing:

    Please review each area and initial each paragraph. The student requesting the Emotional Support Animal (ESA) must complete this form. If the student is under age 18, then the parent will also sign the agreement. By initialing and submitting this document, you are acknowledging your responsibilities as Owner/Handler.

    1. Approved animals are legally required to be vaccinated in accordance with local ordinances at the Owner/Handler’s expense. I agree to provide the Veterinarian's verification that the animal has all veterinary recommended vaccinations to maintain the animal's health and prevent contagious disease.
      I understand that the ESA will not be allowed in university housing until the veterinary records have been received and reviewed by all required university personnel.
    2. Animals must be housebroken. The Owner/Handler is responsible for properly containing and disposing of all animal waste. Indoor animal waste must be placed in a sturdy bag and tied securely before being disposed of in outside trash dumpsters. Outdoor animal waste, such as dog feces, must be immediately retrieved by owner, placed in a plastic bag and securely tied before being disposed of in outside trash dumpsters.
    3. The Owner/Handler must effectively control the animal at all times. The animal cannot pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others. If the Owner/Handler cannot effectively control the animal or if the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, permission to keep the animal in university housing may be rescinded until such time the problem is rectified.
    4. Dogs must be at least 10 months of age and cats must be at least 6 months of age. The Owner/Handler of this animal guarantees that this animal, if a dog or cat, meets these age requirements.
    5. Routine maintenance of the animal is expected and includes flea and tick prevention, de-worming, and annual examinations at the Owner/Handler’s expense.
    6. If any animal neglect is suspected, Housing & Residential Life will contact the Owner/Handler, Accessibility Resources,Campus Security and the Humane Society. The animal may not be left overnight in university housing to be cared for by someone else. Animals must be taken with the Owner/Handler if leaving campus for a prolonged period.
    7. All animals will have a tag that identifies the Owner/Handler and contact information in case of emergency.
    8. Dogs will wear a current rabies tag.
    9. The Owner/Handler is responsible at all times for the actions of his/her animal. The Owner/Handler is responsible for any odors, noise,damage, or other conduct of his/her animal that disturbs others or damages the premises.
    10. The animal must be in a cage or crate when the Owner/Handler is not in the room.
    11. An ESA is not permitted in any area other than the Owner/Handler’s on-campus residence, and common indoor areas as needed to enter or exit the building.
    12. The Owner/Handler is responsible for assuring the animal does not interfere with the routine of the residence or cause difficulties for students who reside in the unit. Sensitivity to residents with allergies and to those who fear animals is important to ensure a positive residential community.
    13. The Owner/Handler is responsible for instructing others on appropriate interactions with the animal and setting clear expectations.
    14. Roommates will be notified about the animal. The notification will include the type of animal and size. Roommates may request a room change from Residence Life if they have a desire to do so.
    15. Anytime the Owner/Handler requires service from Housing&Residential Life, they are requested to call 477.2118 in order to arrange a time they will be present.
    16. The Owner/Handler is financially responsible for the actions of the animal including bodily injury, property damage, replacement of furniture, carpet, blinds, etc. The Owner/Handler is expected to cover all the costs of returning the unit to the same condition of move-in. This may include cleaning all carpets and furniture to remove pet odors,dander, hair, etc.
    17. The housing unit will be inspected on a regular basis. If fleas, ticks, or other pests are detected through inspection the unit will be fumigated, and the costs will be put on the Owner/Handler’s student account.
    18. University Housing has the right to assign you to another unit if the care of the animal or interactions of others becomes a concern.
    19. If the Owner/Handler violates any provision of this agreement, he/she may be required to immediately remove the animal from university housing, but the Owner/Handler is still expected to fulfill his/her housing obligations for the remainder of the housing contract.
    20. I understand that my ESA is not allowed in University Housing until I have met with a representative of University Housing and Residential Life to review this Agreement.


    Please provide the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of 2 persons who can come to campus and get your ESA.