The Academic Success Center provides a variety of training and resources to support faculty working with academic advising and registration.
SOAR Advising Information
- February 6-13 - Submit Academic Progress Checks by 11:59 pm (Week 5)
- March 20-27 - Submit Academic Progress Checks by 11:59 pm (Week 10)
Fall, spring and summer academic planning calendars.
Advisor Training Opportunities
The Academic Success Center advisor trainings include a 8-week Advisor Certification program, advising refresher sessions, and individual or department-wide sessions as requested. For more information regarding advisor trainings, please contact us.
- View and sign up for trainings in Dragon Central
- Upcoming Training Dates & Details - Summer 2023
- The Academic Success Center is offering an Advisor Certification session this summer. The program will consist of four, three-hour sessions held June 26-29 (exact times dependent on participant availability). If you are interested in participating, please sign up by Friday, May 12. If you have questions about the program, please contact Loren Baranko Faught (email@example.com).
- Advisor Certification
The Advisor Certification Program is a training for faculty and staff used to develop individual advising skills and competencies. Session topics include advising methods and developing an advising philosophy, navigating advising relationships and conversations, prescriptive advising components (LASC, DARs, policies), advising special populations of students, student resources at MSUM, and assessing advising.
- Synchronous: An 8-session program for faculty and staff used to develop individual advising skills and competencies. It is open to new and experienced advisors who wish to further their knowledge of advising. Both synchronous and asynchronous options are available each year.
- Asynchronous: A self-paced version of the synchronous program that allows participants to complete their certification and allows for opportunities to connect with the ASC Director and Assistant Director 1-2 times (or more as needed) at times of the participants’ choosing
- Advising Updates
An individual, drop-in session meant for new and experienced MSUM advisors that covers MSUM advising updates along with information on Degree Audit Reports, LASC, and more. These sessions are typically scheduled the week prior to the start of advising in the fall and spring semesters.
- Individual and Department-wide Trainings
The Academic Success Center can provide individual and department-wide trainings on a variety of advising subjects as requested. Examples may include Advising & Early Alert Training, Graduation Planner Training, Advising Updates, or other trainings as requested.
- New Faculty Training
All new faculty will have the opportunity to attend New Faculty Training in the Faculty & Professional Learning Center. A portion of the training, along with a follow up training, will include the basics of advising at MSUM.