Undergraduate Research Funding & Scholarships
MSUM offers many funding and scholarship opportunities for students interested in undergraduate research. Students can also apply for general university scholarships through the Office of Scholarship & Financial Aid.
College of Science, Health and the Environment Research Funding
The College of Science, Health, and the Environment invites proposals for funding to support student research. Funding is open to majors of the College of Science, Health and the Environment.
The Goldwater Scholarship is a highly competitive national scholarship program for students who intend to pursue a research-based career in science, mathematics, and/or engineering. The scholarship is intended for students with one or two years of undergraduate study left, and provides up to $7,500 per year toward documented educational expenses. Each university is allowed to nominate only four (4) applicants to the Goldwater Scholarship program each year, so we have developed this application process to choose MSUM’s nominees.
For more information, visit the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program site.
- Sophomores or juniors who intend to pursue careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. Pre-medical students are eligible only if they intend to pursue a research career rather than a career as a medical doctor in a private setting. See Goldwater Eligibility Criteria
- Cumulative GPA of 3.6.
- U.S. Citizen, permanent resident or U.S. National.
- Students must be nominated by their university
- Strong Scholars Summer Research Application [PDF]
- Student Research Grant Application [PDF]
- Student Request for Undergraduate Travel Support Application [PDF]