A graduate certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language will prepare you for teaching ESL/EFL in a classroom setting in a variety of contexts: K-12 schools, intensive English language programs, adult basic education programs or community college programs. It is intended for individuals who have previous training or experience in a related field, such as education, English or other language study. While the master’s degree may lead to an add-on K-12 license in ESL for already certified teachers, it will not provide initial preparation for individuals who do not hold an existing license. Since licensure requirements vary from state to state, you should consult licensing boards in the state in wish to work to determine whether the TESL certificate will meet the requirements in that state.

See the Teaching English as a Second Language requirements